Chapter 3

Rantaro knew that Mikan had claimed the painkiller she gave Kokichi would help him fall asleep quicker than a normal one would.

He had just assumed that quicker didn't mean Kokichi would be knocked out cold in a span of five minutes. Of course, Rantaro did take note of how he seemed like he was struggling to keep his eyes open before he left the nurse's office, but he didn't think it was because of the medication kicking in so soon. Mikan wasn't kidding when she said the Ultimate Pharmacist helped create it.

Rantaro had received numerous glances as he walked down the street. Some were out of pure curiosity, while others were a tad more on the judgmental side. (Although, every once in a while he did come across an occasional starry-eyed look- the kind of look that Tsumugi sometimes wore whenever she talked about one of her ships.) He didn't pay any mind to the wandering eyes of those around him as he made his way back home.

Rantaro didn't mind having to carry Kokichi through the city. If anything, there was only one problem he had- Rantaro couldn't exactly ask him where he lived since he was knocked out. Of course, Rantaro didn't care all that much about bringing Kokichi to his house, he was just concerned about how he'd react when he woke up. (And the reaction of anyone he lived with, too.)

The walk home wasn't too far from the school. Ever since he got accepted into Hope's Peak Academy as an Ultimate, his father went out of his way to buy an entire house closer to the school. ("Make sure to make lots of connections!" He'd say. "It'd be good for the business!")

Thankfully, Rantaro wasn't alone. Some of his sisters had moved in with him for one reason or another. His father had also sent one of his top maids to live with and take care of them.

Most of his sisters were step-sisters (a few of them were his half-sisters), and the ones who didn't move to the new house with Rantaro lived with their moms or back home with his dad. Although there were some sisters he saw more than others, Rantaro loved each and every one of them dearly.

As Rantaro walked up a small set of concrete stairs, the moment he set his green eyes upon the mahogany door was the very same moment it started to open slightly. It happened every day, yet it always made Rantaro smile.

From behind the door popped out the head of one of his sisters, inquisitive light pink eyes peering at Rantaro with a kind smile. "Thanks, Itsuki," He stepped inside. (Normally, he'd pat her hair and mess it up slightly, but today was a bit different.) He already knew the silent question her eyes were asking. "Long story, I'll explain it later, okay?" Was the answer he opted for at the moment, slipping off his shoes near the front entrance.

Itsuki stood still for a moment, before nodding her head. Wordlessly, she slipped back into the living room, where she usually resided during the afternoon.

Rantaro walked up the stairs, only to stop in his tracks when he heard the sound of a door opening followed by two gasps.

"Ranty-nii!" Standing before him were two more of his sisters. Airi, with brown hair and green eyes, and Eri, with blonde hair and green eyes. "Who are you holding?!" Airi exclaimed.

"Taro-nii! Is that your boyfriend?!" Eri's face lit up alongside Airi's as they both giggled.

"Quiet down, you two." Rantaro tilted his head slightly to the side, raising an eyebrow. "My friend isn't feeling well- he needs all the rest he can get."

The two twins both nodded in sync, their green eyes sparkling with amusement. "It's just like sleeping beauty!" Eri whispered excitedly to Airi as they watched Rantaro head to his room.

"I thought sleeping beauty was a girl?" Airi questioned.

"Does it matter?"

Rantaro heard a pause as he (somehow) opened the door to his room. He could imagine both of their faces as clear as day. "I guess not."  He heard Airi answer, with what was probably a shrug.