Chapter 11

"What 'cha making?" A voice chirped from behind Rantaro. "It smells great!" He felt a pair of small, slender arms wrap around his waist. He felt a light pressure against the small of his back.

"I'm making tostones," The green-haired boy hummed, not taking his eyes away from the pan in front of him. He didn't need to look to know that it was Kokichi hugging him from behind. (He was probably resting his head against his back, too.)

"Tostones?" Kokichi asked. He lifted his head off of Rantaro's back and craned his neck to the side, peering at the food in the pan. "What's that?'

"Wow, you said it with the proper accent," Rantaro mused. "I'm a little impressed,"

Kokichi let out an indignant huff. "Of course I got the accent right!" He exclaimed haughtily. "I have over 10,000 members in my organization! Surely I'd know a thing or two."

"Oh, really?" Rantaro raised a brow as he flipped the tostones around. "Then how about you tell me about tostones? I'd love to hear what the leader of a super evil organization has to say."

Kokichi let out a sharp "tsk," shaking his head. "Now, now, Taro-chan, I asked you first~"

Rantaro laughed slightly. "Fine, fine. Although their origins are unknown, tostones are very popular in many Caribbean countries. I first had them in the Dominican Republic." He watched as the tostones started to brown at the edges, waiting a moment before taking them out of the oil they were cooking in.

There was a brief moment of silence. Rantaro opened his mouth to say something, but Kokichi beat him to it. "So, wait, you just slice up bananas and fry them?" He asked, reaching his hand out to grab a tostone.

Rantaro promptly smacked his hand away. "No. Tostones are made with platanos," He corrected, gesturing to the platano on the counter.

Kokichi picked up the platano on the counter, turning it around in his hands. "Looks like a banana to me," He hummed.

"Well, technically, it is a type of banana," Rantaro nodded, taking the last of the tostones out from the pan. "But it's larger and thicker than the one you're thinking of. Platanos also have more of a savory taste as opposed to the sweet taste of regular bananas, and they have to be cooked before they can be consumed."

"Wow, 'consumed,' you use such big words for a big banana. Just say 'eaten' and let me eat it already!" Kokichi held onto the platano firmly with one hand, reaching his other hand out to grab a tostone. Rantaro smacked his hand away once again. Kokichi frowned. "Let me try one!!!" He whined. "I'm gonna starve to death in five seconds!"

"Go get something from the fridge then," Rantaro opened a cabinet nearby, grabbing a glass jar. "You're not having one until they're done."

"Then why'd you take them out?" Kokichi sniffled. "Just to torture me? I never thought you'd stoop down to Iruma-san's level!"

Rantaro chuckled softly, shaking his head. "Now, now, Kichi-chan," He hadn't meant to use the nickname- it just slipped out of his mouth. He felt Kokichi's arms around him tighten slightly. The corners of his lips etched upwards into a smirk. "We're just now getting to the best part," He held the jar a few centimeters above an unsuspecting tostone. "Watch this."

He brought his arm down in a swift manner motion, firmly squishing the tostone in an instant. Kokichi's eyes lit up as he watched, letting out a little over-exaggerated "WOW!" as Rantaro lifted the jar up.

Rantaro turned his head to look at Kokichi. "You fry tostones once, squash them, fry them again, and then they're done."

"Ooh! Let me try! Let me try!" Kokichi set the platano he was holding on the counter in an instant. "I love crushing things! Especially food!" He exclaimed, waving his fists about in a childish manner.