Chapter 12 - Nightmare

The picture in the media is Qasr Al-Farafra, or the place where Haji grew up.

______________

Gedo knocked on Kami's window, which she rolled down.

"Kamilah, I need a word with you before I leave," Gedo said.

"Okay," she said, opening the door and following him behind the jeep. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the scarab necklace.

"I am not sure I understand this, or that I'm comfortable with you using it. It is long past the time I felt I had any control in my life. But if this works for you, if it protects you and your friends, you should use it." He handed Kami the necklace and she fastened it around her neck. The weight felt right. The bloodstone was back where it should be.

"This is very important. I have several friends who are former police officers living in Cairo and Alexandria. They quit during and after the revolution. I am hoping they can help us. At the very least, we can borrow uniforms to sneak back into the cave," Gedo said.

"But isn't that terribly dangerous?" Kami asked. "We know at least some of them were possessed by the queen. What if they put you in prison?"

Gedo ran a hand through his hair. His clothes were rumpled and stained with dust, perspiration and blood. He looked like he hadn't a good night's sleep since he and his wife had been abducted. It was likely he hadn't.

"For Layla and Yasmin, it's worth it," he said. "I will be careful. You must promise me the same. Only use the scarab if you need to. I can't help but think there is a something of yourself you are giving when you use it. It might be dangerous to use it unless its an emergency."

"Of course," Kami said, standing on her tip toes to give him a hug.

"If I don't come back by the time you feel ready to return, go without me. Do you understand? There will be no way of knowing if I have been taken by the queen's possessed men," Gedo said. He rubbed his temple and shook his head. "I can barely stand to hear myself speak this way. As if I believe in all this. And yet, I must take action."

Kami stepped back as Gedo climbed into the jeep. She waved goodbye as he drove off. Then she joined the others on their long journey to stay with Haji's family in Qasr Al-Farafra. Haji told them a little about his home as they drove. He said Farafra was located in the Western Desert, approximately 627 kilometers southwest of Cairo and was considered the smallest and most remote oasis in Egypt.

"How many people live there?" Chris asked.

"There are only about 5000 of us. My mother grew up there and is Bedouin, as are most of the residents. My father met her on the trade route with his caravan and fell in love with her. After they married, she went with him on his expeditions. My mother did not care for it much, and eventually she convinced him to settle in Farafra with her, allowing her to be near her family." 

"Did your dad mind quitting the nomadic life?" Kami asked.

"It was hard being constantly on the move, but he loved it. He used to trade spices, but eventually he realized we could make more money guiding tourists. When I am home, I run desert expeditions for tourists, and sometimes I will receive calls from my father to guide people in Alexandria and Cairo. I think he still misses living in the desert. My mother, on the other hand, does not miss her desert house one bit. She used to complain about having to set it up and take it down over and over."

"So it's a tent, then," Kami said.

"Yes. My father learned to love Farafra eventually though. He has many friends there, and he likes that we keep our traditions and customs. Farafra is an ancient city. It was mentioned in ancient Egyptian texts dating back to the 10th dynasty in 21st BC. Farafra was called 'Ana Akhet,' or the land of the cow as a symbol of fertility referring to the ancient goddess Hathor."