Introduction

Author's Note: I'm super stoked to present the second book in The Shadow Wars Series - THE BLOODSTONE PROPHECY. You will likely want to read the first book BORN OF SHADOW before reading this story. It is available for sale on Amazon and BookDepository.com, or you can read it for free right here on Wattpad!

I have posted imagery and soundtracks throughout this book, so take a moment to enjoy the artwork and be sure to hit the Youtube buttons to enhance your reading experience. 

Here's a brief synopsis of the first book BORN OF SHADOW: On her seventeenth birthday, Kami receives a mysterious artifact and a ticket to visit her estranged grandparents in Egypt. When she arrives, no one is there to meet her. Alone and in an unfamiliar country, she discovers their disappearance is only part of a greater threat. Does the handsome boy she just met have the answers, or is he part of the reason for her grandparents' disappearance?

_________________

Chapter 1: Chased - teaser

Kami stumbled behind the others blindly. Tears filled her eyes, and she dashed them away furiously. What a lousy moment to cry. She could see the vague forms in front of her as they hurried through the Shadow Queen's cave—her badly injured grandfather being supported by Samuel. Chris followed closely behind with a shadow whip in one hand and a laser saber in the other, peering back occasionally to make sure she was okay and to see if any shadow creatures were chasing them.

So far, she saw nothing.

She heard a rumble and the ground shook. Tiny shards of rock fell and pelted her body with a hundred stings. She slipped on the debris and fell down, landing hard on the floor of the cave. The rocks pierced her hands and knees. Scrambling to her feet and ignoring the pain that sliced through her, she caught up to the others.

An eerie howling echoed through the cave and sent chills up Kami's spine. They moved even faster, and she readied her laser saber for whatever might be coming.

C'mon, c'mon, Kami thought as they pressed forward. She heard a rustling on her right, not far behind her. Turning her head, she tried to make out a figure in the gloom but couldn't. She faced forward again.

Kami saw a feeble light in the distance. If they could only make it out of the cave before anything caught up to them, they might have a chance. Gedo and Samuel must have seen it as well, as they picked up their pace.

Wax droplets fell on her head, her face, her arms, her hands. She tried to wipe them away, but they stubbornly clung to her skin.

A whooshing sound swept through the cave and Kami felt a blast of air smash into her back. She staggered forward and barely caught herself from falling. Balance regained, she ran toward the entrance. Samuel struggled to help Kami's Gedo as they rushed past the milky white stalagmites, closer and closer to the light in a frantic attempt to escape the darkness that pressed in on them. Almost there. Just a bit further.

As Kami brushed past Chris, he grabbed her arm. She turned and looked.

Moonlight streamed into the cave, illuminating the floor and walls. She couldn't immediately discern what Chris was pointing at. She strained her eyes. There, she could see them now—eyes. Two sets of glowing beady red eyes that stared at them intently. The eyes moved and her heart sank. She recognized their shapes, the contours of giant bats with wingspans at least 8 feet.

The shapeshifters had followed them. 

________________

If you enjoyed this, please click the little star to vote. To read this chapter in full, continue to the next section.

Please consider adding this story to your reading list so you can be notified when I update. If you're not following me yet and would like to know the latest, please consider following. :)

To see covers and concept art in advance and get special discounts, head over to http://sarahbensonbooks.com and sign up for the mailing list.

I am planning to do a lot more with the "Born of Shadow" Fan book now that I'm posting book 2. Join the gang over there! We'd love to have you.