The Million Year Old Sinner, Chapter 10

[Chapter 10: You've Got To Have Freedom]__________________________

__________________________

Several Thousand Years Ago...

The sounds of ravenous wild dogs snarling, booming ape-like screams, and the tearing of flesh is all the could be heard throughout the twilight caverns, the echoes barely being heard from outside the cave walls. A huddle of canines draped in ragged fur and speckles of blood furiously hurled themselves at Oogar, the lead dog extending its claws outward in an attempt to tackle its human prey to the ground. The boy furrowed his brow and quickly ducked beneath the approaching canine, proceeding to jab his spear right underneath the dog's gut. The beast's growl of rage devolved into a whimper of pain before its body was hurled several feet forward while the remaining two wild dogs took its place.

Readying his spear, Oogar attempted to attack one of the approaching dogs with a jab of his blade. Unfortunately for the boy, the canine managed to dart towards Oogar's side, opening its maw and before chomping down. The razor-sharp teeth punched deep into the young neanderthal's thigh, fresh blood erupting from the bite marks as Oogar emitted a pained scream. The child violently spun around in, the pain forcing the child to drop his torch, trying its best to get the beast off of him but to no avail while the second dog was able to knock him down with a swipe of his claws. Upon falling to the ground, his spear fell out of his hands while the dog's teeth were still embedded in his flank. The second hound was slowly approaching, the child desperately trying to find a way out of this

Grabbing the jagged hunk of rock, Oogar proceeded to stab it straight into the dog's eye as blood splurted onto the sharp end of the stone. That one attack was all Oogar needed to get the dog off of him as it opened its jaws and recoiled in pain, leaving behind noticeable bite marks. The second canine proceeded to lunge at the child but Oogar was able to retrieve his torch and swiped at the approaching canine with the firebrand. The flames licked the canine's face, leaving behind a noticeable sear that stretched from its eye and down to its cheek. The attack set the canine off track, crashing into the dirt ground while its one-eyed companion attempted to attack Oogar from the side a second time but would suddenly feel the rock piercing straight through its skull and into its brain, the hound's body going limp within seconds.

Dropping the sharp hunk of rock, Oogar cocked its head over to the remaining canine, who glared at its human opponent with ferocious hatred. Oogar locked eyes with the scarred dog, slowly making his way towards his spear while still having eye contact with the beast. Lowering itself for a brief handful of seconds, the canine leaped forward in a frenzy of rage while the child, acting fast, managed to snatch the shaft of his spear before swinging it in a sweeping motion. The blade swiftly raced across the canine's neck, a large horizontal cut opening up on the wild dog's neck as its body dropped dead onto the ground. Hadn't it been for his wounds, Oogar would've shouted out in victory, as he slowly shuffled over to the cave walls that ripped out strands of grass and roots. He proceeded to carefully bandage up his wounds, sucking in puffs of air from the grueling fight.