Chapter 5

It was night when you awoke, or it at least seemed to be night time. Not a single beam of light reached your eyes, something you found strange. 
No street lights outside?
Not another light within the homeless shelter?
Not even a ray of moonlight?

Something wasn't right.

You tried to sit up but whack your head off something only a short distance above you instead. What was it? You moved your hands up and surprisingly felt no pain, you distinctly remember being shot.
What was going on? Where were you?

In desperation you kicked your feet outwards, striking the hard material encasing your body like a coffin. 
What, it wasn't a coffin was it?!
No. It can't be!

Fear makes you kick again and a crack echoes out, a stream of light enters your eyes, revealing the seemingly wooden sarcophagus in front of you. You push with your hands and kick with all your might until you are free from your dark prison.

What the hell happened?

You seemed to be enclosed in a cocoon of organic material, hanging above your temporary bed by a few feet. Peculiar branches of the same material stretched from the cocoon to all across the empty room, holding you above the ground.
You decided to check your bullet wound, pulling back the organic material hiding it from view to reveal . . . nothing. 
The hole had closed, healed and left nothing behind apart from all the dried blood. 
No wound, no scab, no scratch. Not even a scar.
You had been healed by this strange enclosure. Perhaps another one of your rapidly changing and growing powers? You weren't sure but gratitude filled your body. 

Perhaps being on the run from multiple incredibly powerful and rich organisations that spanned the entire globe wouldn't be too bad after all.

You climbed out of the weird sarcophagus and attempted to stand. That was a mistake.
Weak beyond belief your knees buckled and you hit your head on the floor.

OW!!

Perhaps just sit still for a few minutes.

Those few minutes passed harmlessly until you felt strong enough to shuffle out of the room in search of life. A stranger encased in a weird cocoon would normally scare people off so you weren't that surprised to find nobody near. You're freaking out yourself.

But that means people might be on the way!
The police or Hydra or SHIELD. Or all of the above!

You had to get out.

Thankfully your energy reserves were quick to refill, energy seemingly flowing into you from nowhere. You stood up and sped walked out of the room, remembering you have no bags after your rapid escape yesterday. You continued walking, leaving the building without looking but then you stopped.

"STOP THERE! HANDS UP WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM!" Screamed a police officer down a megaphone, hiding behind his police car. His colleagues all face the building in your typical police-surround-a-building scene in a movie, dozens of guns all facing directly at you and you alone.

Great, just your luck.

How were you going to get out of this one then?

*****

A few hours earlier . . .

The Avengers were still sitting in the meeting room when the first reports hit the police station, quickly passed onto SHIELD and then the Avengers.

Steve, as the captain, was the first to speak after the message was relayed through the speakers in the room. "Avengers, we have a mission. SHIELD thinks Y/N L/N has been located in the city, a homeless shelter. Reports are still coming in but we have a few videos and images members of the public were able to capture before police evacuated the area."

Tony took over and quickly projected another set of videos onto the smaller screens in front of each team member. 
They watched in curiosity as a room appeared, shaking slightly due to trembling hands. A body was slowly rising from a bed, blood coating a shoulder. A dark brown or black substance poured from the figures hands and feet, forming an enclosure that soon cut the person from view. Black tendrils of this substance shot onwards and the onlookers screamed, narrowly missing being impaled in the process. The video then turned to black and ended. 
Another video showed the same process but from a different angle. Photos were just as unrevealing, showing little clues about what actually happened.

As informed as they were going to get the Avengers all hurried out of the room and prepared to leave. Weapons were gathered, suits were donned and armoured strapped into place. The ten superheroes all regrouped as they headed upwards towards the helipad where the Quinjet was waiting for it's passengers. They boarded, Bruce and Rhodey going straight towards the cockpit whilst all the other team members found a seat to sit in, only Tony remaining outside.

"I'll meet you there. I'm faster than the jet so maybe I can contain the scene until you lot arrive. See you later,  alligators!" And with that Iron-man blasted off into the sky.

"Why does he always do that?" Questioned a curious Clint.

"No idea," replied Captain America. "I would run you through our target but we don't know anything about them."

"What about a plan then, Cap? You always have a plan." Natasha raised an eyebrow with her question.

"Containment. Try not to let Y/N leave the area to protect civilians. We have no idea what they can do, the power might be uncontrolled, based on emotions or instincts? By the looks of the videos they have a bullet wound to the shoulder, still looks bad enough to limit their ability to fight but don't underestimate Y/N. We are basically going in blind."

The rest of the flight was silent after that quick overview. Everyone cautious and worried about what they might find in a few minutes time. 

*****

After landing the rest of the team approached the suited Tony Stark. They stood behind a line of police officers, all armed and guarding the main doors to the homeless shelter.

Tony Stark updated his colleagues, "The police have surrounded the buildings, waiting for you until we go in and capture whoever is inside, hopefully Y/N"

"Lets go the-" 
Steve was cut off by a commotion caused by you walking slowly from the building.
"Looks like we don't have to go inside after all."

"STOP THERE! HANDS UP WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM!" The police commander had called out to the figure, that jumped as if shocked before eyeing all the people surrounding them.

Captain America then walked forward, breaking the police line slightly and called out to your frozen figure. 
"Y/N L/N! We are the Avengers."

The loud voice broke you from your shock. Looking at the man talking to you, you started to think quickly. A plan was needed. 
Steve shouted out again, "Don't resist! You will be coming with us."

"And if I don't want to go?"