Shaving

Kai is stalling, so Cinder helps him look presentable. Cute Kaider fluff.

When Cinder woke up, Kai's side of the bed was empty. That wasn't anything unusual- as an emperor, he was usually the first one up. She knew Kai still hadn't left for his office for another work day because she heard water running in the bathroom sink through the open door.

She yawned and stretched in her boyfriend's large comfy bed, thinking for a moment if she could stay there for entire day. Deciding it would be hugely inappropriate for a queen to roll in bed all day, she swung her legs to the side and slowly got up. Feeling dizzy for a second, she pulled down her shirt- actually, it was one of Kai's old shirts that she tends to sleep in whenever she visits the palace- and made her way toward the bathroom.

Cinder pushed the door and saw Kai standing above the sink. He was dressed in sweatpants and a t-shirt, not in his fancy imperial attire he had to wear for meetings. His hair was messy as usual, falling slightly across his forehead. When Kai saw her reflection in the mirror, he gave her one of his breathtaking smiles. Cinder thought he was absolutely beautiful.

"Morning," he said, turning around to wrap his arms around her and pull her into the bathroom.

Cinder gave him a peck on the lips and pushed few strands of hair that fell on his forehead. "Good morning. I thought you'd already be gone by now."

Kai shrugged his shoulders. "I may be stalling a little bit."

"You know you're going to be late for that meeting if you don't hurry up? We don't want Torin and Prime Minister Bromstad going mad because of you."

"They'll be fine," he said in a nonchalant voice and lowered his head into the crook of Cinder's neck. "I just need few minutes with you and then I'll be ready for the day."

Cinder smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck. He pressed few kisses into her neck, knowing well enough where her most sensitive spots are. Cinder breathed out and tightened her grip around him. She glanced over his shoulder and saw the reason why water was running earlier. Sink was filled with warm water and next to it stood few items that gave Cinder a clear image why Kai was stalling.

She bit her lip to stop the grin. "You're stalling because you don't feel like shaving, do you?"

Kai's lips on her neck turned upwards. "I just don't feel like doing it," he murmured.

Cinder sighed, knowing how much it bothered him sometimes to be perfectly groomed and neat at all times. As a queen, she understood the pressure. She placed her palm on one of Kai's cheeks, feeling slight stubble under her skin.

"You know you can't go to the meeting like that."

Kai lifted his head, turning it to press light kiss on the palm that was still on his face. "I know. Torin would send me right back. I was mentally preparing myself to do it when you came in and distracted me."

She didn't let his smirk and smooth talk change her train of thoughts. "Come on, Kai. You know I would pay to wear cargo pants all day and have grease spots on my face, but we have to at least look presentable."

"Are you saying I don't look presentable like this?" He smiled, but Cinder noticed a tinge of uncertainty in his voice.

She smiled and kissed both of his cheeks, feeling the hairs under her lips. "You're as handsome as ever, but that doesn't change the fact that you're an emperor and it is expected of you to look like one."

Kai sulked for a second, kissed her forehead and turned around to shave. Cinder stared at him for a second, then walked towards the wide sink. She put both her hands on the marble top of the sink cabinet and lifted herself up so she can comfortably sit and watch Kai. Goosebumps rose on her bare leg as she was wearing only Kai's old shirt, but her metal leg didn't feel the cold of the marble top.