Wild

Written for TLC ship weeks 2020.

"You look wild," Cinder said as she tried to fix Kai's unruly hair. "Everyone will know what we were doing."

Kai ran his hands through his hair couple of times, but it showed little improvement. "It's not my fault you like to pull at my hair when we're kissing."

Cinder scoffed and averted her gaze. Kai loved teasing her about it because he knew she would be blushing if she could. He thought it was adorable.

They walked the opposite direction of the supply closet where they spent their afternoon break. Being emperor and empress took a lot out of person, so they always appreciated small breaks they managed to steal during the day and spend them together. That particular supply closet in the palace guest wing was their favorite hideaway place because no one was there to bother them, even if only for half an hour.

Kai reached for Cinder's hand and pressed a kiss on the back of her palm. "I love you."

Cinder smiled and reached forward to place a real kiss on his lips. "I love you too."

When they rounded the corner, they ran straight into Torin. He looked less than pleased when he noticed young smiling couple holding hands and the horrible state emperor's hair was in. He didn't need any pointers to know they had a little afternoon fun.

"Your Majesties," he said calmly to both of them, then looked at Kai. "If your break is over, you should come back to your office. American ambassador just arrived and would like to have a word with you."

Kai cleared his throat, looking very uncomfortable for being caught red-handed. "Of course, I'll be there in a minute. Thank you, Torin."

The three of them walked in silence until they reached Kai's office. Cinder said a quiet goodbye, sending a meaningful glance in Kai's direction.

Just when Kai was about to enter his office, Torin spoke softly, a knowing smile playing on his lips. "You should fix your hair before you come inside, Your Majesty. It looks a little... wild."