The Middle Of Nowhere

Trees. More trees. Some more trees. Oh look, more trees. We had been travelling through the same thick forest for at least an hour now and I think if I saw another big bushy green tree, I would puke. I looked at the mirror to the right of me to see my twin brother, Jay, fast asleep and laying across the whole backseat of the car.

I don't know how he can just sleep wherever.

I looked to my left to see my mother's eyes straight on the road while peeking in her rearview mirror every quick glance to see how my brother was. She caught me glancing at her.

"You know, Cresthill High has a really nice running team," she says as she turns to glance at me quickly before her eyes are back on the road.

"I know Mom. Thank you for reminding me for the 500th time," I reply with more sarcasm than I wished.

"Look Ally, I'm sorry and I know you want to stay mad at me, but I promise you will like it here," she says and looks at me with some hope.

"How can I like it here when I have all my friends at home far away?," I say hoping tears wouldn't come out of my eyes for the 100th time this week.

She looks at me. "This will be our new home. And you will make new friends, I promise. Yes, this town is small, and-"

"-it's in the middle of nowhere," I interrupt her.

"-I know, but you will like it here. We will be living in this beautiful house with a nice forest as our backyard where you can run for as long as you want," she says.

I turn back to looking at the forest and feeling like puking rather than start crying in front of my mom. I grab my backpack from beneath me to take out my headphones and turn on "Land down under" on my phone. I must've drifted into sleep because when I woke up, the car was moving into a little clearing with a huge three story house in front of us. Mom was right. There was a huge forest surrounding us.

I immediately opened the car door and grabbed my stuff as soon as mom parked. I was one of those people that would immediately unpack as soon as I possibly could, unlike my brother who would take forever and was still asleep while my mother was trying to wake up. My mom threw me the key and I walked up the place. From the looks of it, it must've been built a hundred years ago because it was made out of brick with a brown roof.

I guess it's two whole floors plus the attic. I hope there aren't mice running around or racoons.

I open the door and step inside catching my breath when I see the beautiful interior. As you enter, you are in the living room with the kitchen to the left, a bathroom to the right, and a bedroom to the back right. The stairs are in the middle back of the room splitting the two doors into the back yard into half. I see the light switch and flip it up. After exploring more of the empty first floor that will probably be full of junk in a week, I walk up the stairs to the second floor, where I make a U-turn and find myself in a hallway with two doors on my left and a small space on my right.

Second living room I guess. We could probably put a couch and games and stuff there.

I open the second door and find another bedroom. I walk out and open the second door to see another bathroom but this one with a bathtub instead of the one with only a shower downstairs. I turn to the right to see a smaller set of stairs that lead up more and I walk over to climb up another floor higher.

Please no racoons in the attic. Please, please don't make me see anything bad in the attic

As I walk up the stairs, to my surprise, is a nice high triangle room with a big window on the far wall. I walk over to the window and push hard to open the window. I look down to see my brother finally walking around outside looking like he's hungover. I then thought of a brilliant idea.