I needed that. I wasn't sure if I wanted to admit it to myself just yet, but I didn't want to leave this territory. I had no place to go, and if I left, I'd be easy to possess again. I would rather take my own life before letting anyone use me as a weapon ever again. So, I needed to stay here, but I didn't want to be dead weight. I wanted to earn my place in this territory.

I rested my head on the ground and let out a deep breath as I relaxed a little by little. I was almost feeling... content. The war was still there; we all were in great danger, but at that very moment, I just wanted to rest and enjoy being outside. It was nice.

As I stayed there, watching people come and go, I carefully let myself get used to the idea of having a life here. I could find a job in the city with humans and start making changes to my little cabin. Like electricity, maybe a shower. I could ask Rayleigh if it was all right to add another room too. The fence around my yard needed a little fixing too...

"Isn't that him...?"

I pinned my ears back when I heard a woman's voice. Someone I didn't know. I saw her watching me by the gates of the kindergarten, talking to one of the caretakers. I don't think she realized I could hear her.

"Why is he stalking our kids?"

"He's just taking a nap – you don't have to worry about him," the caretaker said. "I think he's just lonely."

"I'm sorry but that's just creepy," the woman said, grabbed her kid and marched away.

The caretaker let out a deep sigh and returned to the other kids. I was glad for her kindness, but my mood was already ruined. I had forgotten not everyone here wanted me around. I'd seen how some people looked at me. Like I was still dangerous or someone no one could trust.

I waited for a moment before getting up. I walked to my cabin, feeling sad and at a loss of energy. I could feel the infestation starting to bubble inside me, so I tried to force the woman out of my head before the maggots could wake up. It wasn't a success.

Not until a faint scent of those damn cookies reached my nose, and I stopped to stare at my front porch. There was a new bag of cookies on the windowsill. I sniffed harder, and I could've sworn I caught that bastard's scent.

Arch's...

I snorted loudly and turned to a human before pushing open the gate to my yard. I marched all the way up to the door, meaning to ignore the cookies, but when I was about to step inside, I...

I didn't have the time to stop myself when I turned around and grabbed the bag, bringing it inside with me.

After washing my hands and face with the little water I had left in the canister – I really needed to go get more – I started cooking. I kept glancing at the bag of cookies, feeling annoyed over their existence, but soon I returned to the thoughts I was having before I got rudely interrupted.

My little cabin had enough room for one person, but it would be too small for two or more people. There was loads of space to expand in the back. I could take down the bedroom walls and turn that into a living room, and use the current one as a dining area, and then add the new bedroom where the backdoor was, and if it was possible, a bathroom too. I wasn't sure if toilets were possible around here, but I'd heard people talking about showers, so there had to be some kind of plumbing system going on. And since the kindergarten and the Hunter's Headquarters were close by, I assumed there were pipes under ground too.

I had no experience building with wood, and if I had to do the work alone, heaving the massive logs around would probably be a big, unnecessary task. But I had some knowledge of using bricks, since we had to keep fixing the abandoned factory our pack used to live in. It should be easy, but I needed money to buy enough stuff.