Sunflower, she/they

Sitting in a classroom, my boots digging into the back of my heel, my burgundy turtleneck tight to my body that I think I like.

There's something so comforting about they/them pronouns. Something so satisfyingly rebellious. 

But they also just feel right.

I'm not just a girl, I'm something in the middle of the spectrum.

A stack of guinea pigs in a trench coat, if you will.

An androgynous human that doesn't want a gender to limit them to their self expression.

I grew up in a very homophobic Christian household. As much as I love God and love religion, I extremely dislike the lack of support for those who aren't completely cisgendered or completely straight.

I don't understand the whole "kicking out gay kids" thing either.

All sins are equal under God. If being gay was a sin, why don't parents kick out their kids for lying?

Why don't parents kick kids out for cheating?

Or stealing?

450 species of animals. That's how many experience homosexual behavior. 

It doesn't take more than a Google to see it.

In the Bible, it says that the only creations God gave free will and the ability to choose were humans.

Everything exists to worship God.

So are birds sinners? The birds who can't choose anything other than God's intention for them?

And what's so hard about respecting pronouns? 

If I called you the wrong name constantly, even if I knew your name, you'd feel uncomfortable, right?

Now imagine someone entirely getting your gender wrong and continuing to even after you tell them.

I'm not a girl. I'm not a boy. I'm not limited to the binds of your gender ideas.

Unfortunately, some people don't have to imagine it. They go through it. Every day.