Round 2: Sweetheart

The distant and muffled voices of the party's guests meandered down the hall as the study loomed before me. This was it. Time to get my revenge. It was a long time coming. With a deep breath, I pushed on the heavy oaken doors and entered.

Standing at the far end of the room, behind a desk, and peering out into the night sky, there he was. The man who had taken everything from me, the people who I had loved.

'You have some gall coming here on my birthday.' The man turned around, revealing a sinister smile and a sparkling gold tooth.

'You killed my parents on my birthday so I thought it would be befitting to kill you on yours,' I said with no hint of the anger raging inside of me. I then softly closed the doors, not taking my eyes off of him.

'Was it really your birthday?' There was a mocking and uncaring tone to his voice.

'Seventh birthday. I was opening my presents when your goons shot up my house.'

'Well, sorry for ruining your day, sweetheart.' The man took a cigar from his jacket and lit it, taking a long drag.

Did he just call me sweetheart? That deserves a little something extra. A kick to the chops, perhaps, and knock out that gold tooth.

Taking another drag of his cigar, the room quickly filling with noxious fumes, the man continued, 'A long time ago, though. Are you sure you want to do this?'

'Oh, I sure do,' I replied with determination, taking a step forward. 'I'm going to really enjoy this.' The man gave out a roar of laughter, making me clinch my hands into fists. 'Think that's funny, do you?'

The man nodded his head scornfully in response. 'But not as funny as when I'll be done with you.'

'Is that so?'

'You know I could just call my guards and have them deal with you. I mean I really should be getting back to my guests. Open my presents.'

I snarled at that. 'Scared of fighting a woman, are you? How pathetic.'

His facial features instantly turning dark, the man replied, 'Watch your tongue now.' 

It was my turn to smile. Getting a rise out of him felt good. 'Very cowardly to get others to fight your battles for you.'

'You made a mistake, sweetheart.'

Sweetheart again!

The man took the cigar forcefully from his mouth. Then without a single flinch, and staring at me with a piercing glare, he stubbed it out in his hand. A sizzle of burning flesh could be heard.

'Is that supposed to impress me? Frighten me?'

Like an enraged beast, the man jumped onto his desk, sending debris flying to the floor. He then took up a fighting stance and waved me forward. 'Let's see what you're made of, shall we, sugar.'

Sugar? Now that does it. 'It'll be my pleasure.'