Explanations

I followed Will back inside to his office. There, a young man was standing near the window, making a phone call. I had expected the beta to be an older man, as he was supposed to be some kind of advisor, but this man had more my age, around his early twenties, so younger even than William, who I supposed to be in this late twenties. Unsurprisingly, the beta was less muscled and less tall than William, but they were also very similar. Both had the same black hair, green eyes and resembling facial features. Brothers perhaps?

Will lead me to his desk and seated himself on the leather swivel chair behind it. He pulled my hand, trying to get me to sit on his lap again, but I slipped my hand from his grip and took a seat opposite from him with the desk between us. Best to create at least a semblance of distance between us. He wasn't pleased though. In fact, he looked quite annoyed, his eyes a shade darker and what's with the growling? What was he going to do next, bark? I pretended I didn't hear or notice his displeasure.

The beta finished his phone call and directed his attention towards Will, ignoring me. "That was the last of them. They will all be ready to go in about 10 minutes. I told them to meet you at the town hall. Are you sure you don't need me to come with you?" He seemed disgruntled.

"Like I said, George, I need you here. That's also part of your task as beta, looking after and defending our home, when we need to go. Now, let me introduce your luna, Sophie Beckett, to you. You'll be responsible for her welfare until I return."

We both seemed equally happy about that prospect. After a little staring contest between the two, which Will won, George directed his attention to me and I was surprised to see he didn't look unfriendly. "Luna, I'm George Jackson, William's brother and beta of the pack. I'm very pleased to meet you."

He didn't shake hands with me, but did an awkward little wave. How bizarre. "Pleased to meet you too, George." I extended my hand, but George first looked at William before shaking it. So that's the deal! Even his own brother couldn't touch me until he has his alpha's permission? Ludicrous!

Ignoring William, I smiled at George. "Please call me Sophie, or else I'll have to call you Beta."

"Euhm, normally only the alpha can call you that." Again that look at William! Did he also need permission to breathe in my presence? He immediately let go of my hand.

"It's fine, George, you're my brother. You're her family now as well." William looked at me next. "Don't expect other pack members to call you Sophie, though. They wouldn't, it's not done that way here."

"Why not? It's my name."

He stood up and came closer to me. "I wish I had more time to explain our customs to you right now, but you should know that hierarchy is very important in werewolf society and men are extremely protective of their mates, certainly before the mating process is completed. That is why other wolves will call you 'Luna' and men will not touch you. Otherwise they will have to deal with my wolf's anger."

"That's the biggest piece of bullshit I've ever heard in my life!"

He came even closer and grabbed my arms near the shoulders, looking deep into my eyes. "Why Sophie? Do you want other men to touch you?" His eyes were actually turning even darker in color. What was going on?

"N.. n.. No." I heard myself stutter. I felt a bit intimidated, but at the same time, hot and bothered.

"Good", he smiled and his eyes turned green again, "If everything goes all right at alpha Cooper's turf, I'll be able to explain everything more fully soon." He grabbed my chin softly. "Until then, Sophie, you'll behave, won't you?"

I nodded, too bewildered to speak.

He kissed my forehead and I felt electrified. Then, he turned to take some keys and nodded to his brother. When he left the room, I let out the breath I didn't realize I had been holding. I suppressed the strange impulse to go after him and instead slumped in the chair. I swear, he was turning me into a spineless, lightheaded mess! When I got out of here, the first thing I would do is shake the hand of every man I meet, telling them to call me Sophie.