24

[Elijah/Eloise's performance outfit above]

"Hey, Julie, Elijah, it's time," Rob said through the closed door.

"Just a second," Julie replied before saying to Flynn, "Something's wrong. The boys and Ellie were getting those jolts pretty bad as I was leaving. And they wouldn't stand me or Eli up again. They must have run out of time." Her voice broke, cracking slightly.

Julie tried to hold in her tears as Flynn said softly, "I'm sorry."

"They didn't cross over," Elijah stated. "They're gone, and Julie and I didn't even get to say goodbye."

The three friends hugged each other.

Rob knocked on the door. "Hey, Julie, Elijah, you're on!"

Julie and Elijah ran from the room, the former in tears.

"Where are they going?" Rob asked.

Flynn shrugged. "Where do any of us really go?"

Rob spoke into his headset. "We've got a problem."

---

Julie and Elijah found a door and made their way to an alley, taking a deep breath and glanced up before Julie said, "I don't know if you can hear me, Mom, but... I can't handle it. Flynn says you're supposed to be behind everything, but I don't know. If Eli and I are supposed to help the guys and Ellie, we didn't. They're gone. And we're so sorry. They were our friends. Our band-" She let out a sob. "Our family. Why can't you just come pick me up... and... and hold me in your arms and just tell me that everything's gonna be okay and that I'm gonna get through it? I just wish you were here."

Elijah closed his eyes. "Mom, why can't you be here to tell me it'll be okay? This band... This band became my family. And now they're gone for good. El's gone forever. I just wish you were here to tell me it'll be okay."

A woman walked past Julie and Elijah with a bag of flowers. She turned when she saw the crying girl and the sullen boy. She pulled out a flower and handed it to Julie. It was a dahlia. Julie smiled as she held the flower. She took it as a sign. She held the flower close to her and smiled.

Elijah glanced at Julie and the two shared a nod.

---

The Orpheum seats were filled.

Rob, in a panicked tone, said into his headset, "Let Panic! know they are going on now!"

The door opened and Julie and Elijah walked in.

Julie held up the dahlia and she and Elijah said, "Signs."

The teen singers set to perform began making their way to the stage.

"Wait," Flynn said. "Where are you two going? They're going on stage!"

"Hold on," Rob said. "Julie and Elijah just walked onto the stage."

"That's my girl and guy!"

"Welcome to Live at the Orpheum. Now give it up for EJ and the Phantoms!" the announcer said.

Julie sat in front of the piano. Elijah picked up his guitar.

The crowd cheered as Julie and Elijah smiled. She placed the dahlia on the keyboard for good luck and pulled the mic from the stand before she said, "Hi. We're Julie and Elijah. Tonight, we'd like to dedicate this song to our moms, who've been there with us every time we've played, and thank them for not giving up on us."

Julie looked up, handed the mic to Elijah who continued. "We'd also like to dedicate tonight's performance to four special friends who have changed our lives completely, who have brought music back to us. It was their dream to play here, and this is for them."

Julie and Elijah shared a smile and said in sync, "This song is for anyone who's lost their way. Step into your greatness. Don't give up. Stand tall."

Carrie scoffed and said, "Been here before."

Trevor glanced at his daughter and a look of disbelief crossed his face at her words.

Julie put the mic back on the stand, took a deep breath, and looked up once more before playing notes on the keyboard.

Carlos looked at his sister, proud of her. Chris smiled, seeing his son on stage. The audience cheered Julie and Elijah on.

They began singing.

Julie and Elijah jumped back after Alex appeared with his drums. They smiled, seeing that they were still there. Trevor Wilson sat up straighter, a shocked expression. He found it strange that the boy looked like Alex. Reggie appeared with a relieved, excited smile. The audience applauded.

Luke and Eloise flashed in and out, as the pull of Caleb's club had a stronger grip on them.

Alex and Reggie shared a look.

Julie and Elijah kept staring at Luke and Eloise who finally were able to fully appear after staring at Julie and Elijah and sang.

Julie smiled and sang with Eloise and Elijah. The twins returned their friend's smile. Nick bopped his head to the music.

Trevor watched the performance, in complete shock. Carrie crossed her arms, in both awe and jealousy.

Alex stood behind his drum set and sang. Eloise sang, then Reggie joined in with her.

The group stood at the front of the stage as they sang. They held hands and looked out to the audience. They bowed and the ghosts disappeared. Julie and Elijah looked around to see that the ghosts were gone and it occurred to them that she'd probably never see them again. They smiled at the audience and waved to Julie's family and Elijah's father.

"Still don't know how she does those hologram things," Ray said.

"One big mystery to me," Carlos replied, knowing exactly who the 'holograms' were.

Chris glanced at Carlos. "I'll say." He winked and Carlos glanced up, realizing they both knew the truth.

Carrie stood slowly and clapped her hands. Bobby remained in his seat, in total shock.