04 | butterscotch

Start from the beginning

"Someone is extra-cheesy during the day." She commented.

"Only for you."

"Stop. You are making my heart race so fast that I feel I might die any second if you don't quit it," She whined.

"See you soon, Sitar," I chuckled. In between all those late-night conversations, somehow this trend of shameless flirting had inserted itself. I loved watching a rosy hue creep up on her cheeks and how she would find anything to hide her face behind.

"Don't blame me if I distract you. I am warning you," she said in a much serious tone.

"I won't blame you even if you do."

"Shaurya!"

I howled in laughter, wishing I could see her red face.

⋆ -—————— sitara ⋮ ⋆

I rocked on my heels just outside Shaurya's door, waiting for him to open it. I was half-excited and half-nervous to see him. Somehow, he had weaved his way into my life and now he was an integral part of it. I talked to him every week and thought of him every day. Those sneaky flirtings, the light brushes of fingers and then looking away after someone caught the other staring — these were the things that made me go crazy.

The door opened and I immediately grinned when I saw Shaurya. But in addition to that, my jaw went slack when I noticed him wearing glasses. "You — " I pointed to it and he laughed.

"Yes, I wear glasses when I work online. Why are you so surprised?"

"Don't mind me. I was taken aback by how handsome you are, again. No big deal," I said hurriedly and slipped past him into his house. His rumbling laughter followed me after he shut the door.

"I am touched that you like me in glasses. I'll try to wear them more," He said.

"No!" I said, before I could stop it. He raised his eyebrows in question and I swallowed. "Um, it's just... they are kind of distracting."

His face broke out into a smile and I quickly added, "Don't you dare laugh at me."

"I'm not," He said, sitting in the chair in front of his laptop. "I'll get to work. Make yourself at home."

"Even if you didn't say it, I was going to anyway. I'll go explore your house and try not disturbing you. Don't miss me too much," I grinned, pinching his cheeks. He swatted me away and I left him to do his work.

Shaurya's house reminded me of Trisha's. She had her living room wall painted in pale violet, contrasting the light pink paint of her house. Similar to that, Shaurya had one wall painted a shade lighter than teal and the rest others a dull white. It was simple and aesthetic. He had a nice wall-mounted TV and a collection of DVDs stacked in a shelf under it. The tea table was wooden with a glass pane that looked a little expensive, especially considering the sleek wood.

I moved to the kitchen. I guessed Shaurya was a neat and orderly person and his kitchen confirmed my suspicion. It was an open kitchen facing the dining table and that's what I liked most about it. In addition to this, I've always wanted one with a counter and high-chairs connected to the kitchen; like the one that came in American movies where the kids were seated beside the counter and their parents just flipped a pancake onto their plates. I thought it was super cool.

I noticed that most of the crockery he had in there were teal as well and I realised Shaurya was trying to make everything match the theme. I smiled at that.

There were three rooms apart from the puja room. One room was completely empty except for a few random pictures of the beach hung onto the wall and a well-made bed.