𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

There was bad news for Travis. Turns out his father would be home earlier than expected. He was not looking forward to this. At least his weekend was good.

His mother looked guilty as she broke the news.

"I'm so sorry Travis."

"It's not your fault don't apologize. I'll try to stay out of his way it's okay mom. Thanks for dinner." Travis pushed his chair in and walked over to the sink to wash his dishes.

"Honey it's fine I'll wash them. Go take a shower and get ready for bed. I love you."

"Thanks mom. Love you too."

Travis ran up to his room and shut his door carefully.

"I do not want him to come home. My weekend was going so well." Travis sat on the floor, pulling his knees up to his chest. He let quiet tears stream down his face. Just as he thought things were getting better they were getting worse.

"I guess I should shower now. I don't wanna disobey my own mom." Travis stood, wiping the tears from his eyes and walking to the bathroom.

He locked the door and grabbed a fluffy white towel. Travis stripped himself and stepped into the steamy shower. He let the water soak through his hair as he thought about many things. About his family, church, school, and other random things.

Travis grabbed the body wash and lathered himself, Then his hair. He rinsed every thing off and stepped out of the shower.

Travis looked at himself in the mirror. Fingers tracing over scars and fading bruises. He knew there would be new ones planted on his body soon. He just wanted this to end. All of it. He just wanted a normal, loving, and caring family. Of course his mother was loving, but he really wanted his father to be.

Travis knew that wish would never come true though. No matter how many times he prayed to God.  It just never happened. Maybe God was too busy to deal with a nobody like himself.

Travis walked back to his room and quickly threw on his pajamas. He put his rosary back on his neck and clutched the cross.

"Dear Heavenly Father I pray that my family will be kept out of harms way. That we will grow to love and respect each other. I plead of thee to pardon my sins and bless this family. Shine your holy light and let us bask in your spirit. In the Lord's name I pray, Amen." Travis stood and crawled into bed. Failing to sleep as he heard the front door slam and his father's voice boom loudly.

Immediate arguing could be heard from downstairs. Of course, not even 5 minutes into Travis' father being home and his parents were already fighting. He clutched the cross tighter. Whispering gospel songs to himself until he finally drifted off to sleep.

Travis awoke to a calm voice.

"Travis, it's time to get up sweetheart." His mom probably knew he forgot to set his alarm. That woman knows everything. She put a hand on his shoulder and kissed his forehead, walking out of the room.

Travis groaned, he stood up and stretched. He walked down the stairs and met face to face with his father. Travis sat down at the table.

"Good morning, Travis." His father said coldly. Looking Travis up and down from the corner of his eye.

"Good morning, sir." Travis kept his voice steady. Stuttering would earn him a smack. His speech needed to be perfect if he was going to be a good preacher.

"Here is breakfast." Travis' mom sat the food down and then herself.

"Thanks mom."

Kenneth just nodded.

After he ate breakfast, Travis made his way to the bathroom.

As he walked to the bathroom Travis sprinted when his father's voice rang out like gunshots.

He locked the door and began brushing his teeth. Then he brushed his hair and walked back to his room. Travis pulled his favorite purple sweater out of the drawer and shorts.

He quickly slipped the clothes on as well as his shoes and touched the cross. He said a quick prayer and grabbed his backpack.

"Can you drive me mom?" Travis asked as he walked down into the kitchen.

"Sorry hun but I really gotta get to work. You can take the bus, or have dad take you." His mother replied, fixing her hair.

"Bus it is then. Bye mom love you."

"Bye Trav, love you too."

As Travis made the long journey to school he saw Sal and his friends. Stupid faggot, making him feel this way. Every time he saw Sal his heart skipped a beat, his face got hot, and his stomach twisted and turned. Either he had the flu or... he liked Sal Fisher.

No that couldn't be. They hardly even knew each other. Besides, Travis didn't need to hang around that kind of people. He needed to focus on his faith and sc-

Travis' thoughts were cut off by a voice. Sal's voice.

"Travis! Over here!"

Travis reluctantly walked over to the group. Seeing Tweedle Dee and his stupid Sanitys Fall shirt, Tweedle dumbass and his stupid bright blue hair, bitchface and her stupid sweater, and the ginger.

"What do you want?" Travis said, sounding ruder than intended.

"I just wanted to ask how your weekend was." Sal rocked on his feet. Travis noticed he did that when he was talking to people. Not like it even mattered anyways.

"It was fine. Why do you care?"

"Because we're friends now!"

"Woah woah woah, when did we become friends?" Travis took a step back. Of course he love the idea of being Sal's friend, but he needed to keep up this asshole bully facade.

"When we started working together in math. Do you not wanna be friends with me?" Sal actually sounded a little hurt. This made Travis feel guilty.

"I don't know. Give me time to think about this." Travis ran off to try and find Phillip.