𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

"I really don't know Phillip. What if he's like-" Travis sighed. "Leading me on or something. Or working for Larry. Like a spy."

"Travis, dude I love you and all but you sound crazy right now. I'm sure Sal wouldn't go out of his way to upset you. The dudes probably terrified of you." Phillip replied, reorganizing his baseball bag.

"Wow Phillip, thats so comforting." Travis spoke in a monotone voice, not even trying to sound genuine.

"Oh shut it. Just admit that you like him and move on." Phillip smirked, waiting for the explosion.

"What the hell? You dickhead I don't like Sal!" Travis beat on Phillip's back, obviously not doing much damage.

"Ouchhh Travissss stop poking meeee." Phillip loved getting Travis riled up. It was so funny to see his friend freak out.

"I absolutely loathe you." Travis narrowed his eyes at Phillip, trying not to smile. He failed, obviously. Letting out a cackle that was accompanied by Phillip.

"You're a dork you know." Phillip flicked Travis' forehead.

"Yeah yeah, whatever." Travis responded, rolling his eyes.

"Hey Travis?" Phillip looked up at his best friend.

"Yeah? Is something wrong?" Travis got worried. Was he about to be kicked out? Would he have to go back home?

"Are you ever gonna... tell anyone else about your dad?" They locked eyes. Phillip knew this was a touchy subject but he needed an answer.

"Oh um- I don't.. I don't know. I want to but I don't feel like anyone else would believe me."

"Travis there are people you can talk to. Im sure my parents would believe you. Or maybe someone else. Like the counselor. I just don't want you coming to school with bruises. Why is your dad such an asshole Travis?"

Both boys had tears in their eyes. Neither one of them could tell who was crying the most. Travis collapsed into Phillip's arms, shaking and crying out.

"I just feel so alone. All the time. Like no adult will believe me."

"Im so sorry Travis I should've never brought this up. You're always welcome here if you feel unsafe." Phillip wrapped his arms around Travis. Pulling him into a tight embrace.

There was a buzz from Travis' phone. Then there was another one.

"Hold on, sorry Phillip." Travis stood up, walking over to his phone on the bed.

"Who is it?" Phillip asked, standing up."

"It's my mom and.. Sal. Sal texted me back?" Travis stared at his phone, mouth gaping.

"He did? Let me see!" Phillip reached for Travis' phone. But Travis held it up above his head.

"Nope. Let me read it first." Travis read the text over and over again.

"Sooo what did he say?" Phillip asked, peeking over Travis' shoulder.

"Nothing, just saying hi back." Travis tossed his phone back onto the bed.