𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔

Travis and Phillip woke up to the smell of eggs, bacon, toast, and pancakes.

"Get up your mom made breakfast!" Travis shook Phillip, darting out the door.

"I'm up I'm up."

"Good morning boys, breakfast is almost done."

"Thanks mom, come on Trav."

The boys sat down on the couch to watch Y.V until breakfast was ready.

"Alright boys, it's done."

Travis and Phillip both sat at the table. Filling their plates.

"Thanks mom, this is really good." Phillip said, stuffing his face full of food.

"Thank you sweetheart bit don't chew with your mouth open. Travis, your mother said she's picking you up at twelve."

"Okay, thanks."

Phillip's mother nodded and walked out of the room.

"Travis just tell her if you don't wanna go home. It's fine."

"No it's not that. Dad isn't even gonna be home this weekend it's just... I don't know I just feel like something bad is bound to happen today." Travis poked at his food.

"Sorry man, maybe it wont and today will be okay. Look at it this way, your dad isn't home all weekend. You can totally do whatever you want." Phillip smiled at Travis.

"Yeah, yeah you're right. Thanks Phillip." Travis smiled back at his friend.

"I'm gonna go wash the dishes. You wanna come help?" Phillip stood up, grabbing the empty plates.

"Yeah of course." Travis grabbed the rest, helping Phillip with his chore.

"So.. how do you feel about being Sal's math partner?"

"It's okay I guess. I just hope we don't get mad at each other or something. That would really suck."

"Yeah, but even if you two get into an argument I'm sure you two will work it out."

"Probably.. Thanks Phillip."

"Yeah no problem."

The boys finished washing the dishes and went to the living room to watch T.V until Travis had to leave.

There was a knock at the door.

"That's probably your mom. I'll get it."

Phillip came back into the room with Mrs. Phelps.

"Oh mom, let me go grab my stuff."

Travis came down to see his mother and Phillip's talking.

"Hi honey, are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, bye Phillip."

"Bye Travis, see you at school."

As Travis walked out of the house Phillip looked at his mom.

"Thanks for letting him stay over."

"Of course sweetheart."

Travis sat in the front seat of his mother's car.

"Did you have a good time?"

"Yeah, we played a lot of Mario Cart. It was fun."

"That's good. Im glad you have a friend like Phillip."

Travis nodded. "Me too."

"So how was school yesterday? We never got to talk about it." Travis' mom spoke gently.

"Well yeah I guess. I have a math partner. Something for Mrs. Packerton's class. It's stupid."

"Don't say that. it can't be that bad. Who's your partner?"

"Sal Fisher."

"Henry's kid?"

"How would I know, we only talk during math."

"Well, I think you should talk to Sal more now that you guys are partners. Maybe you could even hang out sometime. Let him know he's always welcome over."

Travis sighed. "I don't like his friends. They're all annoying."

"I think you guys work it out. Just don't be too mean to them. Okay Travvy."

"Okay."

The drive home was around 30 minutes. Travis had recognized every twist, turn, hole, and bump this rode had.

"Alright Travvy we're home. Make sure you put your shoes away."

"Oh actually mom, can I go to the park. Just to walk around? Clear my head?"

"Of course sweetheart. Just be back bye two okay?"

"I will, thanks mom. I love you."

"Love you too, Travis."

When his mother walked into the house he made his way to the park.

When Travis reached the park he went to his favorite part, the swings. He loved the feeling of wind through his hair, and the feeling of being lightweight. It was calming to him, and he used this time to think.

There were a few kids at the park, a few parents too. Travis ignored them all. He ignored their loud conversations, squeaky swings, and loud children. He only listened to his thoughts.

He thought about school, God, his mom, his father, and Sal. Sal. Why was he thinking about Sal? He was only Travis' math partner. So what Travis had Sal's phone number? So what they had a sweet talk in the bathroom. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are friends, right?

Travis was a lot of things, but he was not a faggot. If he was he would have to off himself. Being gay was a sin, and one of the worst ones of all. Why was Travis like this? Why couldn't he just be normal? He was so close to becoming a preacher like his father. If he messed this up that would be the end of him.

He just wanted to stay in his own mind. Travis wanted to figure out his feelings. He wanted to know why his dad hit him. He wanted to know what was going on with him. What was his problem? Why was he like this? Why was everything so hard for him? Was it ever going to get better for him?

Travis didn't even realize he was crying until he felt hot streams of tears rolling down his face. He wiped them away, looking at his shoes. Ugly shoes. Travis was ugly. His teeth were too crooked, skin was too dark, he had dark eye bags from restless nights, he just felt so little and alone. Travis wanted someone to talk to but he knew nobody would be there. Sal probably wouldn't understand how he was feeling, even though he told Travis if he ever need to talk he was there.

"I should get home. I can't be here any longer." Travis got up from the swing and made his way home. Almost getting hit by a car in the process. When Travis reached his house he put his shoes away and walked into the kitchen.

"Well that was a short walk." Travis' mother joked.

"Yeah, there were annoying kids so I left."

"Shame, I'll start dinner in a bit."

"Okay." Travis replied, walking up the stairs to his bedroom. Not wanting to eat, talk, or breathe. Travis was weak, and it was becoming obvious.