~The Plans of Fate~

I loiter before the hearth on the other side of the drawing room.

The other Herems are gathered on the opposite end, conversing quietly.

My gaze peruses over the sequence of stained glass, pictorial windows, a myriad of designs that brightens the room with colourful hues. Footsteps thud towards me. Vince sidles my flank, too close for comfort.

Staring into the flames, he says, "I wanted to offer my apologies for the last time we spoke. I will not atone for making my feelings known. But I will atone for breaching a line of decorum."

I glance at him askance. "There is nothing to forgive. I find it admirable that you are...bold about what you want. You are sure of yourself. I cannot begrudge you for that, it is who you are."

"Do not do that." His words fall under his breath.

"Do what?"

"Give me hope."

I snicker dryly. "There is none to give, I'm afraid. Do not confuse platonic care for romantic intrigue."

"It seems you are the one that cannot tell the difference," he retorts. Reflecting flames flares in his eyes. "A symptom of someone in sore denial."

"I am not—"

"As you said. I am bold in my aspirations. I am even more fierce in obtaining them. I do not relent, and I do not fail."

I swivel to face him. "Is that what I am to you? An ambition."

"My desire," he corrects curtly. "One that I burn for." His gaze meets with mine. The fire in his eyes roaring.

I retreat. I whip around, hastily making my way to the rest of the Herems that are spaced out on different, stately couches and armchairs. I settle beside Solaris, sitting on the edge of a long couch. Solaris takes one glance at me before he chucks a look behind him at Vince, still standing before the hearth.

He shakes his head and makes a sound of displeasure.

"Do not say a word," I warn.

"I was not going to."

Brennon sets the ankle on his opposite knee. "Do none of you know why Duce Merian requested an audience?"

Treyton props his elbows on the arms of the wingchair. "It must be an emergency; he has never done this before."

"That is what worries me," Brennon grumbles.

On cue. Duce Merian and Primus Kelan charge in, tailed by two other Avangard soldiers.

"Herem Vince, follow," Duce Merian orders. 

Vince pursues and they all assemble. Vince seats himself on an armchair adjacent to Markiveus. Whereas Duce Merian and the rest remain standing before us.

"I summoned you all here because I bear grave news," Duce Merian says, giving Primus Kelan a dour glance. "I did not want to say anything until we were all gathered. But I received this." He holds out a letter that bears the Crown's crest. "News from the High King, instructions per say."

Primus Kelan's frown deepens. "Wait. How—"

"Portal message," he answers quickly.

Portal message is a form of superluminal communication between realms and even standalone dominions like Nivalis. It is instantaneous to use, but risky. It is not illegal, but it is clandestine. Which is why the military only utilises it in the event of a dire emergency. It is frowned upon because messages can be intercepted through the ethereal channels. And it can expose the recipient's current location.