~The Are~

Nightfall betides and the first quarter moon lounges on a throne of stars.

And it is the most exquisite thing I have ever seen. The dark celestial sky blends with the Night Desert. There is no boundary or mark to discern the one from the other. Both a sparkling imitation of each other. The glimmering black sands a perfect reflection of the heavens.

Kelan rallies the convoy to converge and make an encampment for the night. Then recommence the journey at first light. Kelan and I dismount and I make my way to Reinsbure. His hand brushes down the Arabian's neck, its tail swishing in delight.

"Reinsbure. Thank you for being a good custodian, but I think it's time to return my bow and quiver to my custody."

He continues to massage the horse. "It is well, Hera. I can bear it."

"I do not doubt that but—"

Aurora. Be still and listen.

I bristle. Not because of the omniscient voice in my head, one that only I can hear. Not the voice, but its words. The last time I heard them, only mayhem followed.

And I listen. A deep hum thrums out across the dunes, echoing through me.

I walk a few steps backwards, outstretching my arms. Revolving, I say, "Stop, do not move, any of you. I can hear—I sense something."

A hush falls over us all, from where I am and to the farthest soldier.

Dario's wry chuckle shatters the silence. "I think the only thing you are sensing is your own fears, Hera."

"The only thing you will sense is pain if I hear your voice again," Vince warns. Ice against the scorch.

"Control yourself, barbarian."

"The lot of you!" Anthia yells. "Turuk ka-neyet." I suppose that means to keep quiet. "The Hera is right. Something is coming. Many of them. Xelek."

"Offensive positions," Kelan orders.

Immediately, the soldiers shepherd the Anthia, her brother, the Herems and I to the centre as the squadron forms a fortified wall around us. The horses remain vulnerable out in the open.

"What is a Xelek?" Vince asks, his hand ready on the grip of his Sorcian sword.

"Desert demon. They have no sight, weak hearing, but they have heightened thermoreceptors. With overly developed thermoception that can detect thermal radiation in all living beings. Since our bodies naturally exert heat. We are living targets."

"I do not hear a thing," Brennon remarks with utter jadedness. "This is ridiculous—"

An eldritch shriek bellows from the darkness. Goosebumps erupt on my skin. The hairs on the back of my neck stand at attention. Dread seizes a breath in my chest. I hurry to Reinsbure and demand my weapon. He complies and briskly hands it back to me. Hurriedly, I strap on my quiver and I yank out an arrow, notching it and I draw the bowstring back, muscles gathering in my back, prepared to let it fly.

A cacophony of bloodcurdling shrieks rebound all around us. Slinking out of the shadows, it begins to take form. A frightening white, faceless creature emerges, skulking on its hind legs. Its flesh is torn, unravelling in thin layers. Suddenly its featureless face begins to open slowly, splitting into four, the flaps of its face reveal clustered rows of wickedly sharp fangs.

Another shriek wrenches from its jaws, its talons elongating at its side. It rushes at one of the soldiers and he embeds the blade in its chest. On cue, a white tide of faceless creatures burst forth and many of them manage to leap over the protective wall.