37 | The Jar

Vadde's head pounded. Her throat felt tight. She was in motion, but not gently. When she sat up to find glass before her, she needed a moment to orientate herself.

Two dark eyes watched her from beyond it, filled with hate.

Matax. He slammed on the thick transparent surface, screaming something she couldn't make out.

Vadde's world expanded then shrunk and she realized that he wasn't inside a jar...she was.

Dread weighed her head down enough for her to look up to see a face she was all too familiar with.

She hung from Aggu's belt. The woman struggled with tightening a thick cloth around a now fully grown Wyrn who had trouble keeping upright.

"Mother, I don't feel well."

"You'll be fine," she assured him. "Just keep still and do not move this. Once we get home, I can reenforce the spell. Another shield will take time."

Wyrn flopped over and she slipped her arms under his and dragged him toward the wagon. It took everything in her to shove him up into it then hurry around to the front.

Matax followed Aggu's every move.

"If you're finished with—"

Aggu waved a hand at him. "Away with you. You're lucky to be freed."

With a flick of her wrists, the wagon bypassed the sleeping troll and set off. Vadde fought to keep upright.

Matax came back again, eyeing her from outside the jar. Vadde decided to sit down. Even from here, she could hear Wyrn's cries.

"I feel ill."

Aggu looked back at him then urged the beast on. They were in a steady trot in no time and the end of the forest neared.

"Where are you taking her?" Matax asked. "I'm not yet done."

But Wyrn's mother ignored him and carried on. The donkey raced into the open field, but the wagon slammed into something, nearly tipping them.

Aggu had to stand in order to force the cart back down.

What Vadde beheld when Aggu stood was unreal. The donkey still pulled but an unseen force kept the wagon from moving past a certain point.

Aggu puzzled over it, but Matax laughed. "You're trying to leave this place with its ruler? Since when?"

Vadde wondered about his meaning until Aggu held the jar up to examine her. Finally, she unhooked the jar and threw it down. Vadde took a terrible tumble, but the cap was still affixed once it rolled to a stop. That wasn't the only thing unchanged. The wagon didn't advance.

Next, Aggu stepped off. She took little comfort in knowing she wasn't the problem. In fact, she stepped past the wagon and walked to the donkey then back again. She could leave.

In her next attempt, she picked up the jar and held it out. It met a barrier as well.

"No," she moaned but Vadde was sure it wasn't for the same reason.

After securing the jar to her belt once more, Aggu climbed into the wagon and examined her son, specifically, his bandaged back.

"Wyrn?"

He could barely respond. "I'm ill."

"Have you made a promise of some kind? Or taken an oath?"

Wyrn pushed her back and tried to curl up, but she held his face.

"Wake up. What's happened to you? What have you done to anchor yourself here? Has she tricked you?"

He made an awful sound as he gripped his gut. "It hurts."