Chapter 24

I knock at the door and I see Gale look through. His face is no longer had that easiness it used to have to it. No it brings a sense of strain. "Hey Catnip." He answers although that looks like it pained him. I just nod my head in recognition.

Things have grown awkward between us. No longer they 12 year old and 14 year old that met in the woods. No. He's changed. He hasn't even visited me once since I've been on bed rest. until now.

He sits down next to me that is usually occupied by Haymitch with a sigh. We're silent for a few minutes. I'm not sure what to say.

"Katniss why did you let him knock you up?" These words shock me. What business is it to him. He's so annoying sometimes. "Gale we didn't mean for it. You know I wouldn't ever want children while the games are still on." He just sighs. "Yep, that's what you told me." I shoot him a look of disgust. "Why do you care!" I shout. Gale now stands raising his voice. "I care about you Katniss! I don't want some idiot getting you pregnant when I know that's not what you want! Now look what he's done to you, you're stuck in bed miserable!" "And now he's not even here to be with you."

He's hurting me so much right now I just want to kick and scream at him. But I can't. "Gale you really think it's his fault he can't be here! I know for a fact he would rather be here with me than In the Capitol being tortured! What is wrong with you? How dare you say that about him!" I'm so angry. So so angry. "Just get out!" I cry now and weep into my arms. That's the difference between Peeta and Gale. Another reason my heart only belongs to Peeta: if he were here, he would be hugging and spending all his time with me. He calms me down after I'm screaming from nightmares. But Gale just causes them. He doesn't care like he says. He's left.

Haymitch comes in and sees me sobbing. He puts his arm around me and asks me what's wrong. "It's so close now until the baby's here Haymitch. Peeta's not close to being better is he?" I cry. Haymitch shakes his head.

"No, but he's better then he was. He will come back to you Katniss. Eventually."
——
Authors note: just need to say thank you all so much for the positive feedback!! 4K reads!! I never thought anyone would read this haha. Thank you so so so much!! Lysm 💕