Grover tried to protest. "But-".

"Come on," I reasoned. "A walk won't hurt us,".

I glanced at Thalia. Her eyes said a quick 'Thank you'.

We followed the river for about half a mile before coming to an easier slope that led down to the water. On the shore was a canoe rental operation that was closed for the season, but I left a stack of golden drachma on the counter and a note saying 'I.O.U two canoes'.

"We need to go upstream," Zoe stated. 

"The rapids are too swift,".

"Leave that to me," Percy said. We put the canoes in the water. Thalia pulled me aside as we were getting the oars.

"Thanks for back there,".

"Don't mention it,".

"Do you think..." She nodded to the rapids. "You know,".

"I think so. Percy's strong with water,".

"Would you and Asteria take Zoe?" She asked. "I think, ah, maybe you can talk to her. She seems to only speak to you,".

I sigh.

"I don't think she's going to like that,".

"Please? I don't know if I can stand being in the same boat with her. She's... she's starting to worry me,".

I nodded.

Thalia's shoulders relaxed. "I owe you one,".

"Two,".

"One and a half,". Thalia said.

She smiled for a moment before she helped Grover get their canoe into the water.

Percy joined the two of them while I helped Zoe get our canoe into the water. Asteria jumped in before we floated away. And we were on our way.

~~~

As it turned out, Percy didn't even need to control the currents. As soon as we got in the river. I looked over the edge of the boat and found a couple of naiads staring at me.

They looked like regular teenage girls, the ones you'd see in any mall, except for the fact they were underwater.

"Hey," I spoke to them. Percy was a bit too far away for him to hear me speaking with them.

The naiads made a bubbling sound that may have been giggling. I wasn't sure, I haven't spoken to a naiad in a long time. 

"We're heading upstream," I heard Percy communicate with them. "Do you think you could-".

Before he could finish, the naiads each chose a canoe and began pushing us up the river. We started so fast Grover fell into his canoe with his hooves sticking up in the air.

"I hate naiads," Zoe grumbled.

A stream of water squirted up from the back of the boat and hit Zoe in the face.

"She-devils!". Zoe went for her bow.

"Whoa," Percy said from the canoe next to us. "They're just playing,".

"Cursed water spirits. They've never forgiven me,". 

"Forgiven you for what?" Percy asked.

Zoe slung her bow back over her shoulder. "It was a long time ago, never mind,".

We sped up the river, the cliffs looming up on either side of us.

"What happened to Bianca wasn't your fault Zoe,". I told her. "It was my fault for letting her go,".