chapter 17, part 1

"blair, what happened? why aren't susan and lucy here?"

my eyes were almost glued at the sight, seeing peter and miraz, being on edge and wondering why peter can't just stab that old man and get the job done.

edmund waved his hand over my face attempting to catch my attention.

i blinked and realized he had ran back here to me. it was nerve-wracking seeing so many people in one place at one time. from where we were at, which was at the front of aslan's how, so many warriors were spectating the duel.

"uh...yeah..susan made me get her with lucy but our horses started acting up and-"

both of our heads turned around to the sounds of a horse neighing. coming out of the forest, more or less from the same direction i had come from was caspian and susan riding on the same horse.

the horse galloped closer towards us and susan looked around. i think i know who she's looking for.

"where's lucy?" she asked, looking down at me and edmund.

"her horse was very out of the zone and she couldn't calm it down. i can go search for her"

before anyone could answer, edmund interrupted. he looked up at susan straining his eyes to try and avoid the hot sun.

"lucy is going to be alright, im sure she'll find aslan on her own".

caspian suggested we quickly made our way over to where the duel was taking place. where the left over building debris rested.

as were walking there i though about all the situations that have brought us up into this point. i shouldn't be nervous that im going to be within a 5 mile radius of miraz, instead i should be happy and proud.

because i defeated him once and ill defeat him again. what edmund had told me about it being embarrassing that i was almost killed by him, yeah it could've been.

but i wasn't killed. im standing here and now its my turn to stand up with my chin in the air. i wont back down.

"did you find aslan?" edmund quietly asked as we walked side by side. i turned to look at him and his eyes were already looking at me. but its wasnt at ME. it was at my cheek.

"no, we didn't find him"

he nodded and hesitated as he rose up his hand. he wiped something from my cheek and immediately continued to look straight.

"you had dirt" he barely whispered, not looking at me.

i wanted to laugh but i dont think its the right situation.

when we finally got there caspian and susan had already gotten off the horse. the duel was so much more clear by now. peter had a few cuts on his face, as well as the man he fought. they both look exhausted.

a quick break had been called and they stopped fighting, they interchanged their glares which looked as if they wanted to tear each other down like a demolished building with just a look from their eyes.

peter came limping towards us and we sat him down, patting down any sweat and made sure his equipment wasn't broken.

his blond hair stuck to his face, wet with sweat. he breathed heavily, the symbol of the lion on his chest rising and falling.

"lucy? where is she?" he asked in between breaths. i smiled and grabbed his shoulder.

"she's going to find aslan. dont worry about her"

his temporary frown turned downside up, it made me happy to see him smile even if its just for a little.

susan caught peter's eye and he stood up to face her.