FINALE

Author's POV

Newsies:
"AND THE WORLD WILL KNOW,
WE BEEN KEEPIN' SCORE
EITHER THEY GIVES US OUR RIGHTS
OR WE GIVES THEM A WAR
WE BEEN DOWN TOO LONG,
AND WE PAID OUR DUES
AND THE THINGS WE DO TODAY
WILL BE TOMORROW'S NEWS.
AND THE DIE IS CAST,
AND THE TORCH IS PASSED

NEWSIES GROUP 1:
AND A ROAR WILL RISE...

NEWSIES GROUP 2: ...
FROM THE STREETS BELOW

NEWSIES GROUP 1:
AND OUR RANKS WILL GROW NEWSIES: AND GROW AND GROW
AND GROW AND GROW AND GROW AND....

Jess, Jack, Katherine, Medda, Spot, Davey, Roosevelt, and Pulitzer come out to the square. Pulitzer, Roosevelt, Jess, and Jack mount a raised platform to address the crowd.

"Newsies of New York City..." Jess yells getting their attention.

"We won!!!" Jack yells. The crowd cheers. Jack quiets them. "And now I'd like to introduce my own personal pal, Governor Theodore Roosevelt himself!!!" The crowd cheers.

Teddy Roosevelt, recognizing this historical moment, goes on to say. "Each generation must, at the height of its power, step aside and invite the young to share the day. You have laid claim to our world and I believe the future, in your hands, will be bright and prosperous." He turns to Jack. "And your drawings, son, have brought another matter to bear. Officers, if you please." A police whistle sounds. Crutchie appears, blowing the whistle and waving.

"Hey lookit, Jack. It's Crutchie!" Race yells. The Newsies jump for joy when they see their friend.

"Hiya, fellas. You miss me?" The Newsies cheer once more. "And lookit what I got yis: straight from The Refuge." He turns and yells. "Bring him in, fellas!" Two policemen enter with Snyder between them.

"It's Snyder the Spider!" Race yells.

"He ain't lookin' so tough no more, is he?" Albert says teasingly.

"Jack, with these drawings you made an eloquent argument for shutting down The Refuge. Be assured that Mr. Snyder's abuses will be fully investigated." Roosevelt says shaking Jack's hand. He then turns to a policeman. "Officer, take him away." Crutchie then says.

"Please, Your Highness... may I do the honors?" Roosevelt gives him the approval. Crutchie slaps handcuffs onto Snyder. Jess and Jack run down to join the Newsies.

"You've got to be joking." Snyder scoffs as Crutchie fastens the handcuffs.

"And you'll be laughing all the way to the pen, "little man." Crutchie gives Snyder a kick in the rear. "So long, sucker!"

"Thank you, Governor." Jess yells to Teddy. Before she and Jack race over to embrace Crutchie. Pulitzer  steps forward, snatching Jack's drawings away from Teddy.

"I can't help thinking... if one of your drawings convinced the governor to close The Refuge, what might a daily political cartoon do the expose the dealings in our own government back rooms?" Jess smiles as Pulitzer turns to Teddy. "What do you say, Teddy? Care to have this young man's artistry shine a lantern behind your closed doors?" Jack nervously waved his hands.

"Don't sweat it, Gov. With the strike settled, I probably should be hitting the road." Jess' face drops. Davey and Katherine move towards Jack.