Chapter 10:

Author's POV
The Mayor, Seitz, Bunsen, and Pulitzer are in a heated discussion. Katherine sits, listening quietly.

"I've read your editorials, Mr. Pulitzer. How can you express so much sympathy for the trolley workers and yet have none for the Newsies?" The Mayor questions Pulitzer.

"Because the trolley workers are striking for a fair contract. The Newsies are striking against me!" Pulitzer stomps his foot, like a child.

"I'd spare you the embarrassment if I could, but Miss Medda's Theater is private property." The Mayor crosses his arms.

"Mr. Mayor, would the fact that this rally is organized by an escaped convict be enough to shut it down?" The Mayor gives him a puzzled look.

"An escaped convict?" Pulitzer smirks and walks towards his desk.

"A fugitive from one of your own institutions. A convicted thief, at large, reeking mischief on our law-abiding community." He turns his desk chair around to reveal Snyder and holds out the newspaper. "Mr. Snyder, which one is he?"

"That one there: Jack Kelly." Snyder points to Jack.

"And how do you know this boy?" The Mayor says, approaching Snyder.

"His is not a pleasant story. He was the first sentenced to my Refuge for loitering and vagrancy, but his total disregard for authority has made him a frequent visitor." The Mayor scoffs.

"You called him a thief and escaped convict."

"After his release I caught him myself, red-handed, trafficking stolen food and clothing. He was last sentenced to six months, but the willful ruffian escaped." Snyder growled.

"So you'd be doing the city a service removing this criminal from our streets." Pulitzer smirks. Katherine's eyes widen.

"If that's the case, we can take him in quietly and—"

"What good would quiet do me??? I want a public example made of him!!!" Hannah rushes into the office.

"Mr. Pulitzer- the boy, Jack Kelly, is here." Hannah says, out of breath.

"Here?" Pulitzer asks.

"Just outside. He's asked to see you." Pulitzer smirks.

"Ask and ye shall be received. Mr. Snyder, if you please. Sit." Pulitzer directs Snyder to retreat to the shadowy corner and spins Katherine in the swivel chair so she's hidden as well. Hannah escorts Jack into the room.

"Mr. Jack Kelly." Jack walks in observing the place.

"Afternoon, boys..."Jack says nodding at the men in the room.

"And which Jack Kelly is this? The charismatic union organizer, or the petty thief and escaped convict?" Jack snickers.

"Which one gives us more in common?" Jack asks.

"Impudence is in bad taste when crawling for mercy." Pulitzer says.

"Crawlin'? That's a laugh, I just dropped by with an invite. Seems a few hundred of your employees are rallying to discuss recent disagreements. I thought it only fair to invite you to state your case straight to the fellas. So what'd'ya say, Joe? Want I should save you a spot on the bill?" Jack says folding his hands.

"You are as shameless and disrespectful a creature as I was told. Do you know what I was doing when I was your age, boy? I was fighting in a war."

"Yeah? How'd that turn out for ya?"

"It taught me a lesson that shaped my life. You don't win a war on the battlefield. It's the headline that crowns the victor." Jack nods.

"I'll keep that in mind when New York wakes up to front-page photos of our rally." Jack says folding his arms.

"Rally till the cows come home. Not a paper in town will publish a word. And if it's not in the papers, it never happened."

"You may run this city, but there are some of us who can't be bullied. Even some reporters..."

"Such as that young woman who made you yesterday's news? Talented girl. And beautiful as well, don't you think?" Pulitzer smirks.

"She's not my type, but I'll tell her you said so." Jack turns to walk out the door.

"No need. She can hear for herself. Can't you, darling?" Katherine stands up. Jack steps back in surprise. "I trust you know my daughter, Katherine. Yes. My daughter. You are probably asking, why the nom de plume and why doesn't my daughter work for me? Good questions. I offered Katherine a life of wealth and leisure. Instead she chose to pursue a career. And she was showing real promise, until this recent lapse. But she did manage to blackmail one of your Newsies, guess they are weaker then you thought. But you're done with all of that now, aren't you, sweetheart?" Pulitzer sits back in his chair.

"Jack, I-" Jack shushes and pushes her away.

"Don't trouble the boy with your problems, dearest. Mr. Kelly has a plateful of his own. Wouldn't you say so, Mr. Snyder?" Snyder steps into sight.

"Hello, Jack." Jack tries to run for the door, but is stopped by the Delanceys. He realizes he's trapped.

"Ow! Does anyone else feel a noose tightening?" Pulitzer grips his neck. "But allow me to offer an alternate scenario: you attend the rally and speak against this hopeless strike, and I'll see your criminal record expunged and your pockets filled with enough cash to carry you, in a first-class train compartment, from New York to New Mexico and beyond." He turns to Katherine. "You did say he wanted to travel west, didn't you?"

"There ain't a person in this room who don't know you stink." Jack hisses.

"And if they know me, they know I don't care. Mark my words, boy. Defy me, and I will have you and every one of your friends locked up in The Refuge. I know you're Mr. Tough Guy, but it's not right to condemn that little crippled boy to conditions like that. And what about your pal Davey and his baby brother, ripped from their loving family and tossed to the rats? Will they ever be able to thank you enough?" Jack clenches his jaw.

The Bottom Line (Reprise)

PULITZER:
"TIME'S RUNNING OUT,
KID SO WHAT DO YOU SAY?
COWBOY OR CONVICT,
I WIN EITHER WAY!
YOUR ABJECT SURRENDER
WAS ALWAYS THE BOTTOM LINE!"

"Gentlemen, escort our guest to the cellar so he might reflect in solitude." The Delanceys lead Jack out of the office and into the cellar.

"TOO BAD YOU'VE NO JOB, JACK,
BUT YOU DID RESIGN
TOO BAD YOU'VE NO FAMILY,
BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE MINE
BE GLAD YOU'RE ALIVE,
BOY- I'D SAY THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE"

SEITZ:
"LIKE THE PIED PIPER
YOU KNEW WHAT TO PLAY"

PULITZER:
"TILL THOSE KIDS ALL BELIEVED YOU WERE RIGHT"

BUNSEN:
"LUCKY FOR THEM ALL BUT ONE GOT AWAY"

PULITZER:
"THEY MAY NOT BE SO LUCKY TONIGHT"
(Song Ends)

The Delanceys bring Jack into a dark space populated with nothing but a printing press. "We been given discretion to handle you as we see fit, so behave." Morris says leaning on the table.

"But, just in case, I been polishin' my favorite brass knuckles." Oscar says punching his fist.
Morris pulls the dust-covered tarp off of the old press and tosses it to Jack.

"You can sleep right here on this old printing press." Morris slaps the hard surface. "Now that there is firm." Oscar and Morris exit as Jack hopelessly takes in his surroundings. He groans in frustration and starts hitting the table.