fifty-five

Part 2/3

Part 2/3

"You what now?" I ask in disbelief not believing what I'm hearing as he looks at me with a gleam in his eye, the left side of his lip quirking up for the first time since we came back to his house.

"What do you think I said?"

"I-um" I stutter out not knowing what to say next because I'm scared that I might have interpreted him wrong. He gives me a small knowing grin most likely enjoying the mental game he's playing with me and I have to resist the urge to smack that look off his face.

Shaking my head, I say, "Why the hell do you keep looking at me like that, Jesse?"

"You know, that thing that you do with your hands when you're nervous?" he dismisses my question by asking me one of his own but I answer nonetheless

I absentmindedly take my hand and rub the polish on each finger one by one with my other hand, "No."

I don't miss the way his eyes cast down to my fingers and I immediately stop the motion.

"Or the way your right eye twitches when you try to lie." He asks another question showcasing that he probably knows me more than I know myself and I try my hardest to keep my eyes wide open so that they don't end up doing that weird twitching that I know he's talking about.

"No," I say lying again with my eyes literally wide open

He licks his lips nodding his head, attempting to hold back a laugh as he asks again, "What did you think I said?" as he takes a hand and runs it through the front of his hair, the simple act distracting me to the point that I didn't realize that I was just staring at him. He snaps his fingers causing me to pay attention again and when I remember the question he asked I roll my eyes

"I think that you enjoy making me feel pain." I deadpan

He snorts out a laugh, "I said that I love you, and with the look that you're giving me you'd think someone died."

"You can't make that kind of joke when you come across dead people often," I say and he shrugs with a blank look on his face.

"I just expected you to be more...girly-er about it."