Chapter Eighteen

Because the factions count today as an official holiday, everyone has off of work to celebrate the final stage of initiation. To welcome the newcomers with open arms into what they've been working towards for the last month; their new lives.

I just wished there was a promised future for the initiates competing today.

After lunch, towards the end of the Dauntless-born landscapes and the beginning of the transfers, I take myself up the side paths towards the Pire where a large group gathers to watch and congratulate each initiate going through their landscape.

I'm welcomed by cheering, the image of a girl on all the monitors moving fast in their simulation. Marlene. I let a grin stretch across my face; though there's so much to think about, I can't help but show some emotion towards a girl I've watched grow up so much in the past two years.

"Mal!" A high voice greets me. I look into the group of people to find Mia and Tara standing on the outskirts; one looking amused while the other looks excited.

"Isn't this exciting?" Mia smiles wide, rubbing her hands against each other.

Tara rolls her eyes but keeps her smirk. "It's only interesting because there's a Stiff again. There's bets to see how many fears she has, compared to you and Four."

I cross my arms over my chest, narrowing my eyes on them. "I thought you were done with gambling. It's really unhealthy."

Tara moans. "Sorry to disappoint you, mom, but it was too interesting not to take part in."

"I have five," Zeke appears from somewhere in the middle of the group, pushing past people to join our semicircle.

"You too?" I roll my eyes.

"What? At least I'm not one of the people betting on two."

"Who'd just have two fears?" I shake my head.

"Tris, apparently," Mia chuckles.

The lights turn back on in the fear landscape room. On the monitors, we see Marlene hunched over in a crouch, tears staining her cheeks. She looks relieved to be done, but the grin doesn't fall too long behind.

People clap, cheering for her again. I can see Shauna over the crowd by the exit, ready to pounce on the girl when she comes out; clearly wanting to be the first one to congratulate her.

"That's our girl!" Zeke whoops, clapping louder than anyone else.

I chuckle, scanning the group before settling on the entrance of the waiting room. I can't see much inside, but I can see the front of the room; the leaders sitting connected to the program, Tobias administering the test from the computer. He keeps his stern face on, lips slightly in a pucker. I like his 'concentrating' face.

The rest of the Dauntless-born go, then start the transfers. Drew—the boy who was beat up by Tobias that night—limps into the dark, in front of the cameras, after Eric plunged the serum into his neck. I can't help but wince at the sight; he having to get low and pushing himself up with strain in his voice. I watch his heart rate on the side of the screen, letting myself replicate what he's feeling.

By the time the third transfer gets into the landscape, I let the loud voices around me fill the voids in my head. Knowing what tomorrow will bring, I try to forget about everything that has been troubling me for so long and focus on the excitement. All I can hear is the constant ringing that I've learned to prefer over my drowning thoughts.

"Here she comes!" Someone yells from the other end of the group. I open my closed eyes to see the blonde stand in front of the cameras.

My stomach begins to churn; what if they discover her Divergence through this test? Has she learned to control what she's able to do when injected with the serum? Erudite has been working closely with Dauntless for some time now, I wouldn't put it past them to create an easy detector to see who's Divergent and who's not since Tobias and I were tested.