Skyline - Chapter Ten

I walked along the sidewalk eating the roll of bread; it was going stale so I decided it was best to eat it, plus I was hungry. It was a beautiful day; the sky was cloudless, the sun shone brightly. I was wearing a baggy red t-shirt that slipped of my shoulder, on it said: 'Dream a little bigger'. I had paired it with light blue jeans. With the satchels on my one shoulder I walked along, whistling to myself. I was happy.

The sights of the city in the day are much more pleasant. The smells of the bakeries and market stalls filled my nostrils. It was amazing. The streets were busy. I walked along a bridge, above a river. I stopped in the middle and leant my forearms on the wall, my hands dangling over the edge. The sun shone onto the river and created reflections on the surface. It was very pretty.

I smiled to myself. I stood up straight and was about to walk off when someone grabbed my wrist.

"Hey!" I shouted. It was a boy looking down at me, he was about my age, though he was quite a bit taller than me. He was wearing a dark hooded jacket with the hood over his head, creating shadows over his face.

"It's dangerous to be walking around baring a mark like this" He said. I said nothing. I was in shock, what did he know about the Skyborn?

"Honey, if you wish to stay alive you'd better come with me" He said, getting rather impatient. I didn't know whether I could trust him. Though his voice was soft and his bright green eyes seemed to glow in a way I'd only ever seen once.

My lip trembled as I began to speak, but I stuttered and stopped.

"How do I know I can trust you?" I asked finally. He smiled; a crooked smile and pulled up his sleeve. There on his wrist was a feather similar to mine. He pulled his sleeve back down.

"Now let me take you to safety," He said in a serious tone, I could tell he wasn't playing games. I slipped my hand onto his clammy palm, he clasped his fingers around mine and he pulled me away, through the crowds.

I knew I'd seen eyes like those before.

 He was Skyborn.

I was not alone.

We crossed the bridge, and turned left down the third dark alleyway we came to. I was remembering the way, just in case it was a trap, or he was faking. I still did not trust him. We then went down a series of zigzagging back alleys, until we came out onto a dark road, there were rundown shops and piles of rubbish everywhere. He was still holding my hand tightly.

He looked around. Then he dragged me quickly across the road. I kept up with him, though he did stop after we crossed to apologize for tugging me, after that he lead me down more alleys until we came to an open main road, the streets were busy again and the atmosphere was completely different to the back alleys just a step away.

We walked slower down the street now, casually. Like we were normal people; which we knew we weren't. Then we slipped down another alley, though this one seemed to have a dead end, though he kept walking, not even slowing.

"So," he said, "What's your name?" He spoke like everything was completely normal.

"Kaliska" I said, not taking my eyes off of our destination, "Where are we going?"

"Oh!" he stopped suddenly, "We passed it." He let go of my hand, finally, I thought. He took a few paces backwards.

"Here we are," He gestured a light blue door, though the paint was scratched off in places and it was dull from age. The door had a keyhole, a knocker that looked like a fox and a spy hole above it and a brass door handle. He knocked on the door.

"Password?" came a feminine voice from inside.

"Cityscape," he said clearly. The door opened. He gestured me inside.

The door had been opened by a girl with wavy dark brown hair with stunning blue eyes. They shone like stars themselves.

"Who's this?" she asked the boy. He took down his hood, revealing coppery hair. He was actually quite handsome.

"This is Kaliska," he said gesturing me, while running his other hand through his hair. "She don't know about Skyline," he added. Skyline? 

"Ah," she said simply, then she turned to me, "This is Othenio and I'm-"

"Or Nio for short," he said cutting her off. What's Skyline?

"As I was saying this is Nio and I am Naledi"

"Or Eddie for short" Nio waited for her to finish speaking this time. She slapped him on the shoulder. Skyline, I thought, what on earth is that?

"Don't call me Eddie," I didn't know whether she was speaking to me, or Nio, my mind was elsewhere.

"But I don't mind Dee," She said, to me this time.

"I don't have a name for short," I said.

"That's okay" She smiled at me, "Not everybody does," I smiled at her.

"What's Skyline?" I asked.

____________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey guys, hope you're enjoying. Oh and by the way

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

So I just wanted to tell you about pronunciation of the new character's names.

Naledi - (nah-leh-dee)

Othenio - (orth-enn-ee-yo)/ Nio -(Nee-yo)

Okay bye!<3

I will probably update on thursday next :3 x