16

I didn't end up going to Jordan's that next day because of a crazy busy day I wasn't anticipating. I woke up, made sure I didn't look like I'd cried my eyes out the night before, and went to class. My plan was to race to Jordan's after classes but I calculated all the homework I had to do and panicked. By the time I finished it was late and Jordan had practice.

Right now, Ash and I are hiding out in our dorm finishing homework. Another thing I love about Ash is how quiet she is. She's super fun and a great friend but also a fantastic roommate. We give each other space and we know our ways around each other. If there's a time I need to do something and she's not, she'll let me work or go see Derek. If we are both doing something it's like a library and it's very motivating to get things done.

My phone buzzes next to me and I frown when I realize it's from my mother. "Hello?"

"Oh yes, hi Daphne." She says, seeming to be in a hurry. "You've made a decision about Christmas haven't you? I booked you a plane and-"

I quickly interrupted her. "Mom, no, I'm going to see Dad like I always do."

She scoffs. "Honey, you said you'd think about it. And by the way you've been avoiding my calls, it would seem as if you needed your decision made for you."

She has to be joking. I puff out a sigh of annoyance. I see Ash look up at me, concern and confusion fills her gaze.

"Mom, I'm serious, I'm seeing Dad. I'm not leaving him alone."

I know just by the tone of her voice that she rolls her eyes. "Daphne, that is his problem. If he wants to live a lonely life then that's exactly why I'm glad I divorced him in the first place."

I'm taken aback but a part of me knew she had it in her. "Mom. Stop. It." I'm beyond done talking to her about this.

"When are you going to realize he's not good enough for you sweetie?" She says, venom lacing her words. "All he's done is barely make a live for himself through that stupid company he started and-"

"Mom, can you just shut it about Dad!" I exclaim. She's stunned to silence and Ash's eyes widen with worry. "All he's done is been my father and loved me more than you ever have. He cares about me and actually cares what I think or feel. You on the other hand only care about what I look like or who I marry. I've had a really busy week and you just ruined it even more."

With Brooks showing up out of nowhere, my workload, and of course it had to be that time of the month, my emotions are all over the place and the last thing I need is for my Mom to bitch about my Dad for the millionth time.

"I'm hanging up." I state, tears pricking my eyes. It's a mixture of frustration and sadness over my mother's words. I'm so sick of crying.

I shut my computer and grab my phone and keys. I look at Ash, who's eyes hold sympathy for me. I give her a weak smile. "I'm going to see Jordan." I say and she gives me an encouraging nod.

Racing to my car, I go through my emotions. Seeing Jordan is the only thing that seems right at the moment. I love Jordan and I want his reassurance that I'm not being out of line with my mom or stressing too much about an economics paper or thinking too much about Brooks' reappearance.

Pulling up to the guy's house, I sigh remembering the one flaw of coming over here. Brooks. But at this point, who the hell cares.

I get to the front door and don't even text Jordan that I'm here. I knock on the door and low and behold, the last person I wanted to see right now opens the door. Talk about a bad day.

"Daphne?" Brooks asks. Probably confused as to why I'm red faced from crying and only holding my phone and keys. "What's wrong?" He asks.

I shake my head. "Not your problem." I brush past him but he quickly turns around.

Lasting Stars (Stars Series #2)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara