14

Sitting on the bleachers, I watch Jordan skate around the little hockey players on the ice rink out here in the forest. It's late evening and the sun is setting, making the area look more beautiful than anything I've seen in awhile.

Jordan invited me to come today and I happily accepted. I remembered how much I loved watching him with the kids last time and jumped at the opportunity to see it again. Just like last time, his eyes light up when a kid hits a goal or blocks the puck from making it into the net. At this age, Jordan and the head Coach, teach them the basics of all positions to see what they like best. Jordan said his favorite thing to see is when it clicks in their brains that they like a certain position and know they are good at it.

I wonder if he's ever thought of coaching? I'd have to ask him.

A second later, I feel a presence next to me. I turn my head and am met with a young girl who seems to be the age of around 5 or 6. Her curly brown hair, dark brown skin, and wide eyes gaze at me like she's seen a ghost.

"Who are you?" She asks, curiously, cocking her head to the side in confusion.

I chuckle. "I'm Daphne," I point to Jordan. "I'm Coach Jordan's girlfriend." Wow, Jordan's girlfriend. I'm not sure why I'm not fully used to it yet but it's nice to say it out loud.

Her face scrunches together but she nods. Her little finger points out to the ice. "That's my brother, Jaden." She says, triumphantly.

I nod and smile. "And what's your name?" I ask kindly.

She looks back at me. "Jayla." She says.

"Nice to meet you, Jayla." I say.

Her big curious eyes don't fall off of me. "I like to skate too." She says.

"Like hockey? Or Ice Skating?" I ask.

"Ice Skating, I get to put on pretty leotards and skirts!" She says enthusiastically.

That makes me laugh. "What's your favorite one to wear?"

She thinks hard on that question before she answers. "My blue one. With the puffy skirt."

I smile at her simple description. "Ooo sounds beautiful, Jayla."

She just nods and I hear a voice calling her name. "Jayla, honey, there you are!" A tall dark skinned woman rushes up, I'm assuming it's her mom. "You can't just run off like that honey." She notices me and she gives me a sympathetic smile. "I'm so sorry if she's bugging you."

I wave her off. "Never, she was just saying hello."

Jayla's mother laughs. "I've never seen you before." She says. "Is one of your kids out there?"

I almost choke on my spit but laugh. "Oh no, I'm Coach Jordan's girlfriend, Daphne." There it is again.

A bright smile appears on her face. "Oh! Jaden adores Coach Jordan. Comes home from practice all the time raving about him. We are so glad to have him coaching Jaden, as well as Coach Mark."

I smile. A whistle blows on the ice and the kids leave the rink, going for their stuff on the bleachers, it signals to me that practice is over.

"It was nice to meet you Daphne!" Jayla's mother says. "Say bye Jayla." She offers.

"Bye bye." She says waving goodbye.

I wave back and bid them goodbye before looking for Jordan, who happens to be walking right toward me. A bright smile on his face. Spotting the scab on his face I fight a frown. He still hasn't told me why he got it but all he said was that it was from hockey.