Chapter 4: Money Making

“It might take awhile, but I'm sure you’ll get the hang of high society quickly!” Alyssa said bluntly with an innocent smile

………..

Madelyn and Rose's smile twitched with hatred. Cynthia was about to lash at her, but Madelyn shot her a murderous glare.

“Why don’t you let the maids show you towards your rooms” Jack said to Rose and Cynthia, trying to change the conversation

They nodded happily and exited the room. I stayed quiet and masked my presence.

‘I want to give Alyssa the bracelet’ I thought

“Come, my love. Let me show you to my room” He put his hand at the base of Madelyn’s back and led her out of the room

I stared at him for a second

‘He just openly said that she will be sleeping in his room’ I glanced at Ceilia and looked at her in approval,’ He thinks to highly of himself if he thinks Ceilia will react’

Ceilia has a higher social standing than Jack, and he is the one who married into the family. When Ceilia died he took over her business and exploited it. 

‘He fits perfectly with them. All are just as greedy. Why do people always want so much money when they already live so comfortably’ I thought honestly confused

I stood from the couch attracting Ceilia and Alyssa’s attention. Ceilia was analyzing me while I approached Alyssa. Alyssa smiled when I stood in front of her with my hand holding a small box.

I didn’t say anything and kept my hand out till she took it. Alyssa seemed to understand my intentions and took the box. She seemed to be in thought before realization came to her face. She smiled slightly before opening the box. She picked up the silver star bracelet and held it in front of her face. A genuine smile bloomed on her face and she put the bracelet on.

“Thank you! Its lovely” Alyssa exclaimed

I nodded my head in satisfaction and grabbed my luggage, but I was stopped.

“Here, let the maid take your things up to your room” Alyssa suggested taking my luggage and giving it to a nearby maid. 

I nodded my head in thanks at the maid. The maid smiled at me before leaving and I turned to look at Ceilia. She was staring at me with slight appreciation.

The bracelet wasn’t expensive or amazing in any way, but it was a genuine gift. That is better than any shallow jewelry.

I bowed to her in respect and she nodded her head in turn.

“Let me show you to your room” Alyssa took my hand and led me upstairs

We walked in silence when we appeared before a door

“Heres your room” She turned to me and grabbed my hand in hers, “Come to me if you need anything” She smiled 

‘Why did she give me the bracelet now?’ Alyssa thought walking away, ‘It's probably just because I changed something’ She finished thinking with a shrug

I watched her leave and opened up the bedroom door. It was twice the size of Jasmine’s old room and thank god it wasn't pink. It was light grey with white trim throughout and there was a fireplace to the right.. The room was simple, but nice. I walked over to the fireplace and grabbed a lighter that I placed in my pocket. I lit a fire and dumped all my clothes into it. I watched as the flames consumed the hellish pink and a satisfied gleam passed through my eyes.