Birthday Surprise

"Happy birthday, dear Freddy, happy birthday to you!" Tina and Mike sang to their now one-year-old son, who was kicking excitedly in his high chair, looking in wonder at the bright candles.

Tina and Mike were beyond excited to celebrate their baby's first birthday, but there was another reason why Mike was excited...

***

3 weeks prior...

"Hi," Mike said with a small nod to the store owner as he walked into the jewelry store. "I'm here to pick up my engagement ring, please."

"Name?" the man asked as he pulled out a record book. Mike walked up to the cashier's desk and stood there, noting that the man's name tag read 'Julian'.

"Mike Chang," Mike answered, shifting on his feet.

"Ah, okay. Give me a minute." Julian said, exiting the room to enter another room. Mike waiting in front of the desk, patiently waiting.

After a moment, Julian came back out carrying a small ring box. He placed it on the counter of the cashier's desk and opened it so Mike could see.

"Is it good?"  Julian asked, tapping his long fingers on the counter.

Mike's face broke out in a smile. "She'll love it. Thank you."

***

Mike stood in the kitchen, watching his son grab the cupcake with his little fingers, smoothing the chocolate cupcake into his face. He stifled laughter as Tina took multiple pictures and then stood with him as they watched Freddy highly enjoy his chocolate cupcake.

Mike eased away from Tina and murmured, "I'm just gonna go get something. I'll be back in a few."

Tina smiled at Mike and turned to watch Freddy again as Mike jogged downstairs to their bedroom. He opened the first dresser drawer, dug down deep, and found the ring box underneath a pile of his neatly folded shirts. He had hoped Tina hadn't found the ring, but they usually didn't go through each other's stuff, so most likely, she hadn't seen the ring yet.

Mike pocketed the ring and moved up the stairs again, this time more slowly. He didn't want Tina to hear him, so he moved quietly as if he were on the dance floor, swiftly moving across the room and barely making a noise.

He stood behind Tina and lightly touched her waist, making her squeal. Mike dropped to the floor as Tina swung around, surprised. Her mouth gaped open as she noticed Mike's stance on the floor.

"Tina Cohen-Chang, I love you. I had a whole speech ready for this... but I suddenly forget it," Mike laughed and looked up at Tina. "You are the light of my world, you made me a father, and I respect you so much. I seriously do not know what I'd do without you, and I don't want to think about it. So Tina, will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?"

Tina started to cry, and she wrapped her arms around Mike. "Yes," she sobbed. "You idiot, you made me cry!" she exclaimed, looking at Mike with watery eyes.

Mike chuckled and held his girlfriend, or now fiance, closer as Freddy talked to himself in the background.

"Um, Tina," Mike said, stepping away from Tina. "You might wanna take this so we can actually make it official,"

Tina grinned at him as Mike slid the ring on her finger. "Oh, Mike, it's just perfect. I love you."

"I love you too, T."

A/N:

A bit short, but I hope you liked it! Please vote and leave comments if you enjoyed this chapter! Suggestions for future one-shots are always welcome, and please comment or PM me an idea if you have one! Stay safe!

If no one told you they appreciated you today, remember I do.

xoxoCassidy