28. In the Lion's Den

The moon broke through the clouds momentarily, illuminating me where I hung. It was risky beyond belief, but I was attempting a reconnaissance mission during dinner, while the wardens would be on the lookout for students.

But maybe the fact that so many of us had been made complacent with their drugs had made them lazy. If there was one plus side to our situation, it was that.

It was our most planned mission to date, with very specific duties, times, and places, since we needed to be as radio silent as possible. Deep within enemy territory, we couldn't risk the slightest noise sounding an alarm. But noise was the least of my worries; I was running late according to the time display on the watch I'd borrowed from Eddie. I hoped to God that everyone was where they needed to be. This mission would only work if all lookouts were in place.

As the clouds obscured the moon again, I rappelled the rest of the way and pried the target window open. I made too much noise and I released my line from the harness, and lunged inside. Robert pulled the line up and out of sight, as I closed the window.

The sound of heavy footsteps coming down the hallway momentarily turned me into a panicked deer, frozen in place. Move, Dummy! A deep voice that I recognized startled me into moving and I shimmied under the hideous skirted sofa against the wall, careful that no part of me was sticking out.

Light spilled into the room as the door was opened, and I bit the back of my hand to keep from squealing aloud. I'd only just made it. I simultaneously held my breath while reminding myself to breathe, as Corbis clomped to his desk. "Thanks for the update," he said to his phone. "I'm pleased with how fast this is going. See you tomorrow. Oh, and tell your men not to bother me unless it's important, I've got a conference call."

A conference call. It was the most convenient bit of luck. Perhaps I'd learn what I needed without actually having to go through the man's things, or worse, having to do this again.

"Greetings, Headmaster Corbis!" a hearty laugh filled the room through the speakers of the computer on Corbis' desk.

"Latham," Corbis acknowledged the other man. "Corbis. Hell, I'll be glad when I don't have to use that blubbering idiot's name anymore."

What the flaming dojo from hell? Corbis wasn't Corbis? Then who was he? I didn't like this. I'd been listening for less than a minute and already my mind was spinning!

"P-p-please! The k-k-kids! I w-w-won't let you g-g-get away with this!" Latham laughed as he imitated the real Corbis's crying. "Who you gonna tell, Old man? The maggots?"

My blood ran cold; my God! They killed him?

I was suddenly very aware of how dangerously close I was to the lion. I'd climbed right into its den! If I so much as sneezed, I'd be dead. The thought made my chest tighten and I fought to keep my breathing steady and quiet. 

"Anyway," Latham sighed with a sickening mirth. "We're ready over here, Tannen. Just say the word."

"Things are moving quite quickly here, if it continues at this pace, we'll be ready in a week's, maybe two weeks', time. I told you it would be easy, Latham! They're spoiled brats, too self involved to notice, and too emotionally stunted to question anything around them."

"You're sure that'll be enough? You're sure none of them will get in our way?" Latham's skepticism seemed to annoy Corbis—Tannen—whoever.

"Half these kids aren't aware that they're trapped on campus. They probably don't even know that we've blocked all communication outside of the campus grounds. The ones that might be smart enough to figure out something's going on have decided that this is time off to party, instead of doing work, so they don't even notice the increased security. No one's even brought up the sedated students!"

The Hijinks Warजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें