Chapter Fifty-Seven

Cassandra sleeps with her head on Damon's chest where they lay together in her bed. His fingers brushing through her hair as he waits for her to wake up. She hums a little as she stirs, almost waking but not just there yet. She seems to realise that something is off, but ignores it, instead she snuggles deeper into Damon's chest. He smirks a little, watching her.

"Good morning, Buttercup" He teases. She bolts upright with a small yelp and turns to shoot him a glare. Damon chuckles. She rolls her eyes and lets out a breath as she hits his chest in annoyance.

"Don't do that" She scolds him. He rests his hands under his head and smirks. "What are you doing in here?" She asks him as she pulls her blankets up a little to cover herself. "In my bed?"

"We have some very important business to discuss" He answers, she gives him a look.

"And it has to be right now?"

"Well, we have lots to do, now that we're all friends and working toward a common goal" He offers, she frowns at him and shakes her head a little.

"What are you talking about?" She asks as she brushes her hair back from her face.

"Oh, they didn't tell you" He realises and she tilts her head to the side.

"Tell me what?" She counters.

"That Stefan agreed to help me open the tomb," He tells her. She takes a moment to catch up, her brain still half asleep, she hums a little and then flops back onto her back next to him. He leans up, turning onto his side, letting his eyes drift over her. She doesn't wear anything fancy to sleep in. She's more of a comfort kind of girl. He reaches over and tugs at the bottom of her shirt, covering up her stomach, she hums a little, already falling back to sleep. He brushes her hair back from her face, gently touching her cheek with his fingers. She peeks through her eyes at him, just watching him as he touches her face. He lifts his eyes, meeting hers, and he smirks, and it is a rather dirty smirk. She just rolls her eyes and bats away his hand. He nods slightly. "So, in order to open the tomb, we need to find the journal to get the grimoire to undo the spells. First things first-since you are Cassandra Gilbert, you're on journal duty" He tells her, she nods a little as he twirls a strand of her hair around his fingers. Amusing himself.

"I'll look for it later" Cassandra lays back down in the bed, pulling the sheets over her face.

"Good." He offers.

"How do we know that this journal will hold the location of this grimoire anyway? We're really going to take the word of this vampire? He seemed like a bit of a moron?" She asks him.

"In lieu of any other options" He offers, Cassandra pulls the sheets down from her face.

"Okay, what exactly is a grimoire, anyway?" She asks him.

"It's a witch's cookbook" He answers. "Spells and potions and whatever" He draws his fingers through her hair.

"What about our mystery vampire?" She asks. "The other one I felt in....whatever his name's head....at the dance. He obviously wasn't working alone, so whoever's out there knows who we are"

"And I don't like that disadvantage...." He admits. Mostly because it puts her at risk. She's unique. He's never met anyone that can do what she can do. He's never even heard of it. So if other people find out. They'll come for her. For what she can do. She compelled a vampire and he has never seen that done before. He leans closer to her, brushes his nose over hers as he leans in.

"What are you doing?" She whispers as his hand moves down to her neck. He can feel her pulse beneath his fingers. Her heart is racing.

"Wanted to see what you would do" He answers, ghosting his lips over hers. He wants to know what she'll do. They're closer. Friends even. But he wants to see how far he can push it. His hand moves up to her jaw and cheek when she doesn't push him away. She could. Easily. But she's not. She's letting him touch her. He teases her. Not kissing her. Not yet. Just hovering. Ghosting over her lips. Tension building between them. "Okay" He pulls away and she sucks in a breath, swallowing slightly and looking at him, he smirks as he stands from her bed, adjusting his jacket. "Chop chop" He teases and winks, clapping his hands together, she gives him a dirty look, because how dare he do that to her and then leave her all tingly and hot and bothered. He barely did anything. He steps back from the bed, heading to the window. She raises an eyebrow in question.

"You are seriously going out the window?" She asks him as she sits up. He shrugs.

"Cliche but..." He offers and smirks, stares at her a moment before he is gone. Cassandra flops back and covers her face with her hands, letting out a frustrated cry into her hands.

"Stupid sexy Damon" She complains and kicks with her feet into her bed. What is going on with her? She sits up and runs her fingers through her hair. He's hot. She knows that. But he's a vampire and he's dangerous. "Is that it?" She asks herself. Is it because he's dangerous? Is that why she's attracted to him? Is it nothing more than adrenaline? She lets out a breath and shakes her head. She didn't think she was this kind of girl. To get all hot and bothered and horny over dangerous men. But here she is. "What is wrong with me?" She counters as she climbs from her bed and moves to the dresser.