7 ~ First Baseball Game (part two)

Parents start to surround me on the bleachers, and I take that as it's my time to put my book away. I have to be polite and actually watch what I came here for.

"Who are you here for?" asks a pretty woman next to me. Her hair is cut short like mine and is a bright blonde. Her eyes are a sparkling blue. Her smile never leaves her face as she covers herself with a plaid blanket and waits eagerly for my answer.

"The coach." I say with a smile and her eyes widen immediately and her smile expands.

"Are you Coach Layton's girlfriend?" she asks and my face becomes red again. I'm feeling a pattern going on with my cheeks and the baseball atmosphere.

"Oh no! I'm just his friend. He wanted me to see how the boys were doing. Apparently, this is a big game today, and he's really pumped about it." I say smiling back at her, but my nerves make it feel forced.

"Aw that's so great," she exclaims feeling slightly embarrassed about her assumption, "and it is a big game today.  We're playing Hollowel's Tigers. They're currently the best team in the state, but Layton's been coaching the boys good this season. No comparison to last."

It's so weird to hear her refer to Josh by his last name. He's just Josh to me, but here he's a big deal. Hell, it seems like he's been a big deal his whole life. Cutie in high school, baseball god in college and now big time coach.

"Well I'm excited!" I lie trying to match her energy. She scrunches her face at me as she lets out a kind laughter, and I realize I am surrounded by happy baseball moms. Everything is joyous today for them. A beautiful day, a beautiful game.

"Who are you here for?" I ask her trying to make polite conversation and she points to number 32 across the field behind the fence.

"Payton's my boy. He's pitching today." she says with a proud smile. I recognize quickly that he's one of the boys from earlier. I should've known with his mother's features. He looks just like her.

Before I can say anything, the other team starts showing up wearing all red. Vibrant colors clashing together like the political parties.

Let's play ball.

~

The game begins with our team up to bat. I look over at Josh as he gives pep talks to the boys in the dugout and he peaks over at me and flashes a smile. The affect that has on me alone is what confirms the fact that I am so screwed.

I focus my attention back up to the game as Dwayne goes up to bat. His teammates are already riled up in the dugout as they cling onto the fence and chant at him.

"Come on D-Dog!"

"You got this man!"

"Hit a dinger baby!"

Dwayne looks focused as he steps up to the plate, the tension is so thick a knife couldn't even cut it with the moms beside me. Each of them lean forward in their seats as they wait for the first hit.

The pitcher from the other team throws the ball and Dwayne doesn't hit it. I'm not sure why considering I don't watch this sport often, but Josh gives a hard two claps.

"That's right bud. Eye on the ball!" he shouts out and Dwayne gives him a single nod before the pitcher throws him another one.

Dwayne takes this one and hits it further out into the field. No one cheers until the ball touches the ground, erupting applause from behind me follows it, and it all hurts my ears as Dwayne makes it to first base. To blend in, I start clapping as well, so I don't look like a complete idiot not knowing what she's watching.