2 ~ First Date

Josh

"Come on man, maybe you've had enough." says my high school best friend, Kale.

I don't let another word come out of him before taking another shot. The burning has completely failed to make an impact on me as it washes down my throat.

All I can think about is her. It's been 3 months, but somehow being back in the place that we met is bringing it all back. She wasn't always a model. She was once the girl sitting next to me in chem. We made the move out together to Florida. We both got jobs down there, but she left me for someone else. I thought it was forever.

The relationship wasn't perfect. We fought. A lot. I think we actually fought more than we talked, but everything about her was perfect. It made up for everything we lacked.

"I'll stop when she calls." I say and the words come out more slowly than I thought them.

"You've got a date tomorrow dude. Time to start fresh. Maybe this new girl will be someone better." he says trying to encourage me. I don't even try to hide the fact that I'm rolling my eyes.

"Yeah right. She's some random girl that Angela works with. I can't even remember her first name."

"Violet. You said her name was Violet 4 shots ago." he tells me, and I play with the glass in front of me, moving it back and forth.

"Yeah, Violet. Well, she's no Maddie." I say, and I get up, stumbling a little and start towards the front door. Kale's hand grabs my shoulder and even though I'm stronger than him, the alcohol makes me weak and I stop.

"Let me call you a cab bro. Let's call it a night." he says with a small smile, and I decide not to put up a fight. I nod my head yes and take a seat again.

I agree. It's time for this night to end.

~

Violet

I barge through the doors of work feeling my heart race in my chest. I feel furious. She can't just set me up with some guy I don't even know. Let alone a guy that sounds way out of my league with high expectations. I'm not the kind of girl to meet them.

I see Angela sitting at the desk with the phone up to her head as she takes a sip of her morning coffee. I could throw that coffee right now.

"What the hell were you -" she cuts me off by putting her pointer finger up in my face before mouthing one second.

I let myself calm down before I take a seat at the desk next to Angela. I look down next to my keyboard and see my coffee order sitting next to it.

"Alrighty we will go ahead and forward that to her. We look forward to being in contact with you sir... thank you buh-bye." she says through the phone and hangs up quickly and turns to me immediately.

"Look. I get that you're pissed, but he's a good guy. I have a good feeling about the two of you. Plus, I got you a coffee as a peace offering." she says without a single stutter.

I roll my eyes and sip the coffee she got me. It's good. I really hate that it's good.

"Fine." I say, "just because you think it'll be good doesn't mean it will be. Guys haven't liked me this far. I don't see that changing."