01 | Flytrap

Title: Flytrap
Author: MaskedParkers
Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Horror
Status: Completed. Available on Wattpad as of June 2, 2021.
Content Warning: Mild Gore.
Top Five Tags: psychological, crime, paranormal, disability, wheelchair

Blurb | Synopsis:

"Danger hides in beauty, and beauty in danger."

When men vanish around the city, a young, paraplegic detective suspects her future stepmother as the culprit.

Barbara Gordon thought her career as a promising young detective came to an end after she was left crippled in a tragic accident. But when men start disappearing around the city, Barbara is given one more opportunity of fulfilling her dream. Convinced her dad's new fiancée is not who she seems, Barbara begins her own investigation and discovers she might be responsible for the recent string of disappearances.

But the darker truth lies just below the surface. If this once would-be detective wants to solve the case, then she must accept the help of some even more mysterious--- and possibly dangerous--- allies.

Favorite Quote: I wish I could put it here, but it's a major spoiler. 😜 I will say this, however: it's somewhere in Chapters 25-26.

What Reeled Me In | What Caught My Attention: The cover! It changes a couple of times a year, and it's always beautiful; aesthetically pleasing.

My Thoughts:

I've had this story living in my head rent-free since the first day I read it, and honestly it's an honor to have it be the first story I recommend here. It messes with your emotions--- literally manipulates you--- and the twists and turns have you going nuts as you (as the reader) try to understand what exactly is going on with Barbara's stepmother... and beyond.

There's an eerie subtlety to the way the plot progresses, one that keeps you on the edge of your seat and then jumps at you when you least expect it with its big reveals when you think you know the puzzle that is the story (and all the subtle clues the author threw in come together to blow your mind, or come together right before the reveals and you feel pride for your observant self once it all goes down! either way it's so amazing). On top of that, the way that the author uses vivid imagery to set the mood/atmosphere of the story makes it all the more creepy and unsettling. It's insane how Masked does it, omg. It's perfect, really. And evil. (Masked, I love you for it haha, I'm a masochistic reader.)

I especially loved every time the author described the characters' eyes, their facial expressions. I still remember the cold stare of a certain character, how silent the scene was as Barbara felt the certain character's blue eyes bore right through her. Oh, the chills!

This story, by the way, is fanfiction of Batman, but it's the type of fanfiction that requires no knowledge of the fandom, because the story stands on its own--- I don't know much about Batman or the DC Universe and I understood everything that happened in Flytrap just fine! In fact, the parts of the story that nod directly to the fandom feel more like Easter eggs!

This is also the type of story where--- if you reread it--- all the signs of what's to come will scream at you, and you'll see characters in different lights. I highly recommend not just a reading for Flytrap, but a rereading as well!

Favorite Character? Pamela. Chapter 25? My heart stopped. Sorry not sorry. She was a well-written character, what can I say? And Officer Bard? Such a sweetheart. ❤🥺 And... Bruce and Richard? Gotta love them as characters, too. Super well-written. Okay, fine, I can't pick. I just love everyone in this story.

Oh-ho, and who may the beautiful woman above be? 🧐 Find out in Flytrap~😉

Find out in Flytrap~
😉