In your eyes, there is no hope for tomorrow

She feels all the eyes behind her back. All these people who are waiting to see the slightest of her reactions. For the past five years, it's like they've been scrutinizing her every move. Not out of spite or unhealthy curiosity. No. To be sure to be there if she ever falters. Even dead, Joel continues to leave his mark on those who have known him.

|Chiquitita, you and I know

How the heartaches come and they go

And the scars they're leaving|

Everyone is holding their breath as she has just started to sing, still sitting at the bar. She swallowed her drink straight, whispering a light fuck it before daring to do what she hadn't done in years. As the emotion prevents her from continuing, she drinks another glass, letting Molly sing the next verse. Slowly she gets up to go on stage.

|Chiquitita, you and I cry

But the sun is still in the sky

And shining above you|

The song barely finished, Molly keeps going without waiting. One glance was enough for Chris to start playing the next song. Until then sitting at her piano, his wife gets up to join her friend, leaving her no chance of escape. Chloe lets out a sad chuckle upon hearing the lyrics.

It's a heartache

Nothing but a heartache

Love him till your arms break

They both know it, it's not just a heartache. Her heart is broken, only a few fragments remain scattered in all the places where they have loved each other. The rest is locked up with him, six feet underground. She nods in rhythm, unable to sing yet. She keeps her eyes on her friend, who is holding her hand warmly. She breathes deeply and starts to sing in turn.

|It ain't wise to need someone

As much as I depended on you

Oh, it's a heartache

Nothing but a heartache|

When the song ends again, Molly hugs her for a moment. It's the applause and encouragement from the audience that bring her to her senses. She almost forgot them, lost in the meaning of the words. Chloe clears her throat. There is silence, everyone waiting for the next part. Then she regains confidence, and her playful nature takes over despite her throat hoarse with emotion.

"Hey Derek, we used to get a drink when we sang."

Her friend smiles and complies, quickly filling a glass as Chloe steps up to hook her mic to its stand, Molly returning to the piano.

"I don't think I can decently leave this scene without singing a bit of Lana Del Rey."

The woman drinks her glass straight before putting it down at her feet, leaving it to Derek to refill it. She exhales slowly before nodding to her friends. Her hands wrap around the microphone and her eyes close as her voice fills the room.

|Feet don't fail me now

Take me to the finish line

I'm hoping at the gates, they'll tell me that you're mine|

As the notes flow, her mind returns to their living room, to that chair he loved so much. She on his knees, snuggled up against him who strokes her hair. A moment of pure rest, of pure happiness. Nothing else to do but enjoy the warmth of each other's skin as the music cradles them.