March, 2nd

Warning: Angst.

The song I'm mentioning is Le Temps des Cerises, that I used in the chapter of the same name, when they went to the lake house in the summer. I think this my longest chapter so far, I hope you'll like it.

Photo by Yener Ozturk

--------------

The bar door opens again, revealing a shivering customer, accompanied by a gust of icy wind.

"Damn it Cole, close the door!"

Derek groans as he wipes the counter in front of him. The snowstorm has finally calmed down, but it's still so cold. He turns to Chloe, seeing her worried face staring out the doors, nervously waiting for them to open to the person she wants to see. She wasn't even supposed to be on duty tonight. But she knows that this is where she would hear the news from the patrollers the fastest.

"They must have stopped for shelter because of this damn storm. Man, I can't wait for spring to come up. At least you know why he's late this time. Stop worrying, I don't wanna listen to you complain about your wrinkles again."

She chuckles lightly before getting back to work. Despite his words, she can't help but worry. When she joined Maria at the office that morning, she told her that she had sent Jesse to meet up Joel and Tommy after their short night. They should have been back by early afternoon. When she left the office around five, they still hadn't come home.

Slowly, the bar fills up, the locals preferring to get together after this day in the harsh weather. She's so overwhelmed by orders that she stops raising her head every time the doors open. The evening is already well advanced when Maria approaches the counter.

"Chloe, can I talk to you?

-Yeah, just give me a sec'."

She doesn't immediately notice the serious tone of the blonde. It's only when she looks up at her after serving a drink that she notices her elder's anguish. She moves her head and sees Tommy outside, waiting. And so, she knows. But she doesn't want to know. She doesn't want to hear.

In a vain hope to save her, her mind snaps, ordering her to create a diversion. She takes off her apron and walks around the counter to get her coat from the door.

"I must go home, I promised Joel that I would make his favorite dinner and it's about time I got down to it. He'll be starving after all this time out.

-Chloe.

-I'm sorry, I really don't have time. We'll talk tomorrow."

Her voice grew sharper, more nervous. All are looking towards them now. Everyone understood.

"Chloe.

-No, Maria. No. Please. Don't say it. Joel is waiting for me at home, I have to go find him... "

The firm tone of her voice cuts, her breathing too short for her to speak. Tommy walks in, tears rolling down his battered face. They didn't want to tell her like that, in the middle of the bar. But they don't really have a choice anymore. He approaches her.

She looks towards him, her head like her mouth saying no. Without her knowing it, tears have already started to roll down her cheeks. Joel would always come to the bar if his patrol had been too long, knowing that she would probably be there to occupy her mind. If he had been injured, they would have come running for her. She knows. She knows the words that will pass Tommy's mouth as he looks at her, his face twisted with pain.

The young woman continues to shake her head. She would like to run away. Go home to find him, his eternal smirk on his lips. He would tell her "where have you been Honey Girl?" before hugging her tenderly. Then they would go to bed. Maybe they would make love. She wants to run away but her body refuses to move, only her mouth cries out no without stopping. And then, the dreaded words are heard.