I can't lose you

Warning: light smut, a bit of angst I guess.

I'm not satisfied at all with the first part of this chapter, and the rest could be improved to, but I've been stuck on this for a few days and I don't see how to do it. Next chapter should be better, I've wrote a part of it a long time ago and I like it! Anyway, thanks for all the reads and support <3.

Photo by Nathan Wright

------

Despite the pain, Joel manages to resume a more or less normal life. Day after day, he clings to Chloe to stay afloat and not sink, engulfed in his past. She hurts to see him like this. Joel was never more vulnerable than when things were about Ellie. Chloe knows it, she can't mend his scars. But she can appease them, by being present, with small gestures, with good dishes. Simple things that ease his pain and make him grateful, even if he can't express it with words. So when he places soft kisses on her forehead, or hugs her tenderly, she knows she's made him feel good.

Tonight, he was persuaded to come to the party. Despite the loud music, he manages to chat with other residents, beer in hand. He keeps an eye on Chloe, who once again gives in to the dance.

At the bar, a group of younger men are talking. One of them has been in Jackson for only a few weeks but has quickly integrated with the rest of his age. The thirty-something toasts with his new friends before asking in a tone of confidence.

"Hey, what's the name of the girl who was serving earlier, the one dancing over there.

-Chloe? Why you're asking?

-I think she likes me, she kept smiling to me. I think I'm gonna dance with her, try to get to know each other, you know what I mean.

-Yeah, I wouldn't do that buddy.

- What, because you didn't succeed? Don't worry, I've my way with ladies."

The others exchange knowing glances and let the man named Carl head for the dance floor. As he walks away, they laugh softly, knowing full well how he's going to be greeted. With a smile on his face, Derek serves the others, laughing at their remarks. As the newcomer is now near Chloe, one of them notices.

"Her old man won't be please.

-Whose old man?"

With a shudder, they turn to the deep voice. Leaning on the counter, Joel arrived to get a refill. The one who spoke stammers an apology, drawing a smirk from the older man. Derek fills his glasses, indicating his companion with a nod of the head.

"You're going to intervene?

-Nah she can handle herself."

Joel responds while watching his partner gently push the newcomer away. Still, he doesn't take his eyes off her. Even though he doesn't show it often, he's the jealous type. So when the other starts to get too pushy, he puts his drink down and walks up to the floor, earning amused glances from the spectators of the scene. Anyone knowing Joel knows how protective he can be with those close to him. Carl is going to find out. He jumps when he feels a hand rest on his shoulder. He frowns as he recognizes the one Tommy introduced as his brother.

"Why don't you go back to the bar and have some water.

-I'm fine dancing with the lady.

-No, you're not."

His deep voice turned almost threatening. The youngest swallows at Joel's cold gaze. He pulls back and returns aback to the bar. Watching him walk away, Chloe smiled at her partner's demeanor. As usual, he worries about her.