32"

FlashbackEnd of seventh year

Flashback
End of seventh year

Zenevieva sat on the edge of the Astronomy tower for the last time. Her feet dangling over the edge, gazing across the shimmering lake and the towering mountains that penetrated the orange haze that settled in the sky as the sun dipped below the horizon.

She just sat and thought.

She thought of what awaited her outside of Hogwarts.

She would have to buy a place to stay, perhaps Regulus could live with her?

She'd spend her days serving Tom, obeying to the sharp twinge of the dark mark that contorted upon her forearm.

Oh how boring it sounded.

Zenevieva couldn't help but scoff.

Tom Riddle was a half-Blood, yes he may have Gaunt blood but she was a pure blood.

Surly she had more power than Tom? She was a Gaunt as well.

Yet her whole life would be dedicated to him. A half-blood striving for blood purity.

As she sat and thought the more ironic it became.

Still, there's nothing she could do but accept the inevitable fate that washed over her mercilessly, like a tsunami ready to hit.

She didn't complain, for many others had the same fate.

Some worse than hers she supposed.

Though she envied those that had a choice.

What she did was necessary in order for her to keep her life.

For Zenevieva's only family members left was not an understanding one.

"It's been a while Potter" she spoke up as she felt Someone walk through the door to the tower

James said nothing but came and sat down a bit away from her, looking out across the grounds much like her.

"It has" he finally replied, "it's all going to change now isn't it?"

"It already has" she replied back making James turn to her

"Take care of yourself Zenevieva" James sighed, "it's dangerous out there, and Hogwarts won't be here to protect us anymore"

" I don't need to look after myself" Zenevieva replied slowly making James look at her in question, "I'm afraid you're the one that has to look after them-self. We're on different sides of this war now James, and only one side can win, don't let yourself become a victim of this war"

James nodded slowly taking in everything she was saying.

"So you're one of them now" he asked tentatively glancing down to her arm and back to her face quickly

The silence was too loud

"Merlin Zen! I could of helped you! You could of stayed at mine! I'm still here for you"

"Ignorance is bliss Potter" Zenevieva whispered trying to not let her voice break as her emotions started to get the best of her

The pair fell into silence once again.

"My parents are ill"

Zenevieva turned to look at James questioningly now her tears had dried, "I'm sorry" she said sincerely. Zenevieva was about to grab his hand to give it a reassuring squeeze but stopped herself just in time.

He wasn't hers anymore.

James had a girlfriend and it wasn't her.

"Dragon Pox" he continued, "they're still healthy and strong at the moment. They've got a fair few years left but..."

She smiled reassuringly at him. To see James so sad and tired was strange. He was usually so full of light.

"It's shit isn't it" she said

"Yeah... yeah, it is"

"Go James" she said shaking her head, "don't spend your last day here being miserable with me. Find Lily and Sirius and Remus and Peter. Spend your last day with the people you love, celebrate, it's not everyday you graduate" Zenevieva smiled weakly

James looked as if he was about to saying something back.

Instead he closed his mouth, thinking hard and nodding to himself as if he was trying to convince himself of something.

He stood up silently and made his way to the door.

Pausing, he turned around looking at Zenevieva's back.

"Do you want to come with us?"

"You always were so stupid Potter" Zenevieva laughed softly, "I don't know how it's not gotten you killed yet"

"You've always been there to stop me before it's too late" he chuckled sadly, "goodbye Zene"

"See you around Potter"