28"

Zenevieva stood and thought

She walked across her grounds as she cold October air nipped at her bare skin.

Taking the locket from around her neck she held it in her hands. She knew she had to destroy it, but it was like destroying Regulus. And she couldn't do that.

It was the only piece of Regulus left. She wore it constantly. She never wanted to take it off.

But she did. She brushed her thumb across it just like Regulus did and she remembered.

She let herself fully remember him for the first time.

She had pushed the thought to the back of her brain, focusing on the task at hand and never stopped to mourn him.

But she did remember.

She remembered his dark stormy eyes

She remembered his long dark hair, not as long as his brothers, it was a nice length

She remembered the tiny bit of hope that danced within his iris'

She remembered the sixteen year old boy who asked her if she okay all those years ago at the Slytherin table

She remembered the little boy who cried at the dark mark

Who felt forgotten

Who felt abandoned

Who felt trapped

Much like her

Regulus and Zenevieva had each other, and that was all the two teenagers needed.

All they needed was each other's company

They had each other, until they didn't.

But still her mind wondered further, to Lily, to her baby Harry...James

For eventually her mind would always end up with James.

It was unfair

It was expected

It was inevitable

It was a broken justice

But it still happened.

The universe is cruel when it needs to be.

Though it always explains later though, when enough time passes and you're ready to hear it.

Because it has everyone's paths planned

All the paths interweaving into existence, and existence is a fragile thing.

Tragically beautiful

Zenevieva thought to Lily Potter and her son that looked ever so much like his father.

Lily cradled the boy in her arms, pushing his hair out of his face as he smiled while his little hands clutched James' fingers.

Deep down and unknowingly Zenevieva wished she could be that kind of mother to Anala.

Loving, soft, careful, considerate, maternal

She wished, she really did.

She wished that Anala could have a proper mother.

A good mother

A mother she deserved

A father she deserved

A family she deserved

But once again the universe had plans.

Perhaps if it didn't Zenevieva would be raising her child with a father. With a happy family, a normal job at the ministry, a cosy home with a big garden.

Perhaps Regulus would be there.

Perhaps James would be there.

Perhaps she would have more than she did now.

But she didn't.

Dropping the locket to the floor she pointed her wand to it.

"Insendio!"

The fire caught onto the surrounding grass, setting it alight as the locket laid perfectly untouched

"Bombarda!"

"Acendio!"

"Diffindo!"

"Reducto!"

She shouted, each spell reverberating off the locket, barely scratching the surface.

In one last furious attempt she launched Regulus' dagger into it, she'd lost her dagger when she'd thrown it at Bellatrix that one night. The metal of the blade clanked against the front, bouncing straight off it and falling to the floor.

She screamed into the night sky, into the woods surrounding her.

"Incendio!" She yelled sending a tree beside her into a flurry of ferocious flames in a fit of anger

The locket remained unscathed.

Placing it back around her neck she headed back up to castle.

She would destroy this locket.

When? She don't know. But someone somewhere will destroy it. She was sure of it. Adamant even.

If she had to die, so would Tom.