2"

Flashback 1978

Flashback 1978

Severus Snape, Regulus Black and Peter Pettigrew looked up in discomfort as the death eaters sat around the table at Malfoy Manner.

Zenevieva hovered above the table, bound by invisible ropes, unable to move or make a sound.

Regulus fidgeted in his seat as he watched his friend helplessly above him.

The room was silent as the Death Eaters studied Zenevieva.

A look of anguish, loathing and fear swirled in her iris'.

Bellatrix Black smiled up at her. Perhaps this was it for Zenevieva Gaunt. Perhaps Tom would finally kill her. She'd be The Dark Lords number one. She'd finally be his favourite.

Lucius Malfoy sat beside her with Narcissa Malfoy along with the Notts, Zambinis, Parkinsons, Carrows, Rosiers and Fawleys. Voldemorts greatest and highest followers.

The doors to the parlour flew open making the death eaters around the table sit straighter and set their jaws as they tensed.

Tom Riddle entered the room. Walking around the table scanning across each persons features, trying to penetrate their minds.

Looking up to Zenevieva he let an amused smile take over his thin lips.

Flicking his wand Zenevieva felt her throat relax once again.

"Tell me cousin" Tom started, "why do you think you're here?" He hissed, a sick twisted happiness and pleasure in his eyes.

Zenevieva didn't answer. She couldn't

"Answer me!" Tom roared making the death eaters flinch

"Why don't you tell me that dear cousin" she whispered, unable to project her voice from the pain her throat was in

"Is it you?!" He demanded, his wand pointing to her with anger, "is it you?!"

"Is what me Tom?"

"It is my Lord, Zenevieva! Do not act like you are above me! Is it you?! Are you the traitor?! Are you supplying the Order Of The Phoenix information?!"

Zenevieva didn't answer, too busy trying to keep her mind shut off from Tom as he tried to enter her mind.

"Tell me!" He demanded with a roar, "Crucio!"

Zenevieva let a scream past her lips involuntarily. Her throat burned and stung as her eyes watered. She tired to thrash in hopes of easing the pain only to be bound invisibly by the ropes.

"Please!" She screamed, "stop it! Stop it!"

"Was it you?!"

"No! Please! Please! It wasn't!" She splutters out in between agonising screams

"Don't lie to me!"

"It's not me! I'm loyal to you! To our blood!"

"Do you take me for a fool!"

"Stop! It's not me... please..."

Tom only put all of his power into the curse making Zenevieva scream louder.

Her body felt as if it was about to combust. Her limbs felt as if they were being burnt from the inside out. Burning through her bones and flesh. Piercing her skin.
Her head ached, the kind of pain that made her vision go Black.
Her mind teetering on the edge of insanity.

"It was her my Lord!" Bellatrix screeched, "she is not loyal to you my Lord!"

Tom only shouted louder thrusting the curse forward harder as Zenevieva screamed louder.

Regulus Black watched as he dug his nails into the palm of his hands making them bleed slightly.

The Slytherins Zenevieva went to school with filched every-time she let out a particularly agonising shriek.

Oh how the mighty Zenevieva Gaunt had fallen.

She thought of James. How she hoped he was happy.

As her mind hung onto the last bit of her sanity, she hoped he was okay. That he could be happy, somewhere out there.

"Please! It wasn't me!" She screamed as the last thread broke.

Her screaming came to a stop suddenly. The pain ceased even though the curse still hit her body. She felt nothing. Her vision cleared and emotions wiped.

The only remaining thing that told her she was still breathing, her heart still beating; anger

"My Lord" Regulus started as he stood up, having enough of watching Zenevievas body be suspended above him.

"Regulus Black?" Tom hissed releasing the curse, "do you wish to speak?"

"Yes my Lord. I believe Zenevieva is telling the truth.  No witch or Wizard would be able to physically lie to you under such an amount of the curciatus curse. Therefore I believe Zenevieva is telling you the truth"

"Are you certain Regulus?" Tom asked his face straight and eyes cold.

"Yes my Lord. Anymore of the curse and I'm afraid that she will not make it. She is a very considerable and valuable part of our ranks. She shares your blood my Lord. Surly you do not want to spill century's worth of pure magical blood"

Regulus felt a pinching at the back of his neck as Tom tried to enter his mind. Pushing him out he stood tall and unwavering.

"Very well" he nodded turning to address the rest of the death eaters he spoke, "find the traitor. Alive. I want to be the one that kills them"

Tom Riddle left the room letting the oxygen restore itself back into the room.

The death eaters around the table didn't linger, fading into a cloud of smoke and disappearing into the night.

Regulus took in a shaky breath raising his wand, releasing the binding off Zenevievas body.

He lowered her down onto the table, helping her sit down on a chair.

"Zene?" He asked watching at her in concern as the girl just seemed to look straight through him.

Her eyes blank. They were empty. A vision of unnerving insanity.

"They'll pay for this Regulus. Mark my words. Tom Riddle and all his followers will pay. Everyone who has wronged us will pay"

"Zenevieva...you're ill. You need st mungos. Perhaps they can save you-"

"No" she cut his off blankly, "no. They'll pay for what they've done for me. Tom Riddle will be first"

The only thing that kept Zenevieva from losing it all was James Potter.

When she looked into James eyes'  she could see every star in the galaxy.

Every supernova

Every constellation

Every planet and their moon

But when he looked down, into her eyes he simply saw his own reflection

You see, to her he was the universe.
So vast, and riveting

To him, she was so close
So close to being his universe,
But not close enough