When we finally made it to the lobby, it was deserted. That got me good an' wary, an' I led the others across the room. But when we got to the middle, jus' in fronta the reception booth an' that big glass sign the mayor had told us 'bout, we froze as we suddenly heard boots trompin' everywhere. A whole squad of Shinra soldiers came pourin' outta every doorway, includin' the way out an' down the stairs.

Musta been twenty of 'em at least, all lined up in a semicircle facin' us, their guns aimed an' ready. I swore but didn't raise my gun-arm yet. Might still be a way outta this, I jus' had to buy time for Cloud an' Tifa to show up an' crash the party. So I moved to stand in fronta Aerith an' Red, glarin' at the soldiers the whole time.

"Surrounded, huh?" I snorted. "Hell, I've seen worse. If I was all by myself, this would be nothin', but I got a reputation to protect. A leader always looks after his own. So bring it, punks!"

Aerith touched my arm. "All of you can still get out, Barret. I'm the one they really want. I can make a deal, like I did with Marlene. If they let you go and let me save Jessie, I'll stay."

I shook my head. "Ain't happenin'. You got caught up in all this for savin' my Marlene, an' I ain't never gonna forget what you done for me, Aerith. So now it's my turn to save you."

"Thank you!" she smiled.

"If you two are finished," Red said, "might I suggest figuring a way out of this? We're still surrounded."

Aerith nodded. "We are in pretty a tight spot..."

I grunted. "Huh? Oh, right. You pretty cold, ain'tcha, Red? Jus' like someone else 'round here I know..."

"What was that?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Nothin'. Got any bright ideas?"

But before he could answer, the ol' warmonger himself strode right in through the front door, two more soldiers flankin' him. Officers, if I read their rank insignias right. General Heidegger looked at us as if we was insects, his arms folded behind his back, an' I felt my fist tighten as I thought of what he'd done to Jessie an' Sector 7.

"We have them surrounded, sir," one of the officers said.

Heidegger eyed us coldly. "Hmph. Yes, I can see that. It was only a matter of time. And he were are. Such a ragged group of misfits. This is Avalanche? I can't say I'm impressed."

I narrowed my eyes. "Like I give a shit."

"And where are the rest of you?" he asked. "There are two more of you miserable sewer rats, aren't there?"

"Up your ass!" I said, flippin' him the bird.

Heidegger snorted. "Charming. Not the last words I'd have chosen, though. You slum dwellers are all alike."

Aerith hefted her staff. "Happy to disappoint you."

"Secure the Ancient," he ordered the soldiers. "As for the idiot and the dog, feel free to kill them."

Now I did bring up my gun-arm. I figured if I could put up a good fight it might give Aerith an' Red a chance to get out. They'd surely find a way back down to the slums from there. Knew I wouldn't last against this many soldiers for long by myself, but if it meant my friends would be able to escape, then I didn't mind.

"Aerith," I said softly. "Best get yourself ready to run. You an' Red. I can buy you time, 'cause a ruckus to give ya some cover an' get on outta here in all the confusion. Jus'... when you see Marlene... tell her I love her. Think you can you do that for me?"

She didn't budge. "You can do it yourself, Barret."

I sighed. "It's your only chance—"

"We're not leaving," she insisted. "Get used to it."