SEVEN

I glanced at Elmyra. "Can we see her?"

She nodded. "Of course. Jessie's still unconscious, but she may hear you if you talk to her. It can help. I think it might be best if you saw her one at a time, though. At least for now."

"Thanks," I told her. Then I turned to the others. "Awright. Mind if I go first? I... I got some things I need to tell Jessie before we leave. Jus' in case... hell, I don't even wanna thinka that..."

"I know," Cloud agreed. "It's fine."

Tifa smiled. "We understand, Barret. Go to her."

I stood up an' made my way toward the stairs. Lena was sleepin' on the little sofa now as Wedge sat on the floor with his back to it, holdin' her hand same as he'd been doin' ever since he laid her down there. We was gonna get her taken care of, too. That medicine she needed. Mako sensitivity had wound up killin' hers an' Biggs' mom, but we was gonna make damn sure it didn't happen to her.

Marissa called to me. "Barret?"

"Yeah?" I said. "What's on your mind?"

She looked at the three of us. "You guys think you could give some blood? Jessie's lost a lot from when she was shot and from the shrapnel that was stuck in her leg. Not to mention the rest of her injuries as well as the operation Elmyra and I did to treat them."

I held out my good arm. "Take as much as ya need."

"Same here," Cloud added.

"You can count on me," Tifa agreed.

Marissa chuckled. "Thanks, guys. A pint from each of you ought to be enough, at least for now."

Wedge gave her a thumbs up. "Me too, if you need it."

"I'll remember that, Wedge," she said.

Marissa an' I went upstairs then, headin' straight into Jessie's room. She was in there, layin' in bed, her eyes closed. Marissa an' Elmyra had gotten her changed outta her ruined clothes an' into a white nightgown that was probably Aerith's, an' her long auburn hair was spread out in a loose fan 'round her head an' over her shoulders.

Fresh gauze bandages was fitted neatly in place on Jessie's forehead, neck, cheek, an' lotsa other spots, an' her right arm was carefully bound up from shoulder to wrist an' wrapped in a clean sling. An IV ran from the back of her left hand to a slim plastic bag hangin' from the tall rack we'd brought up earlier, pumpin' medicine an' probably antibiotics into her system at a steady clip. Hooked up next to it was a monitor showin' Jessie's heart rate an' other vitals, beepin' in time with the spikes on the screen. It was slow, but it was still there.

"Hang on, girl..." I murmured. "We here for ya."

Marissa pointed to a cushioned chair next to the bed. "Have a seat, Barret. This won't take long."

I did. "Not too big on needles."

"You and most other people," she agreed as she put on a paira latex gloves. Then she took a needle an' swab offa the dresser an' unwrapped 'em. "You'll be fine. Ever done this before?"

"Been stuck, but never gave blood," I answered.

Marissa set up the bag. "It's not that hard. Just relax. It'll be over in less than ten minutes, and then I'll put the blood into Jessie. You might feel a little light-headed, but that's normal."

I nodded. "Let's get to it, then."

She got right to work, stickin' me on the inside of my left elbow, an' soon she had that bag fillin' up with blood. While we waited, we talked a little, mostly 'bout Jessie and how we'd each come to know her. It was interestin', learnin' 'bout who she'd once been. I'd never pictured her as the shy, nerdy office type, but that was Jessie in her Shinra days. Still as smart as a whip, though. A goddamn prodigy, no less. She'd earned her rank an' then some. I was impressed.