Prologue

Disclaimer-I do not own Death Note

Warning-slow updates

Enjoy!

*************************

Prologue-Claire's POV

I woke to the sound of a gun shot resounding throughout the house. My curiosity got the better of me as I crept as soundlessly as my six year old body could out of my bed and snuck towards my door into the hallway. Peeking to the left of the hallway where my brother's room was and saw him peeking out as well which was slightly surprising considering he loved his sleep.

I ran up to my thirteen year old brother trying to keep my footsteps soft and gripped the edge of his white baggy shirt. I was slightly scared, and I could see in my brother's eyes that he was as well when he looked at me.

"What's going on?" I asked him in a whisper.

"I don't know." He whispered back.

"Should we go check it out?" I asked looking up at him and he gave a simple nod as he looked at me as well.

I grabbed his hand as we walked quietly towards the stairs. We only walked about halfway down before stopping to look through the railings. The sight we saw made both of our eyes widen in fear. Our parents lay dead with a bullet through their heads and a man standing over them. The man wore all black including a ski mask. But what scared me the most was how he was eerily laughing.

I gripped L's hand even harder than before, and he did the same. He put his finger over his mouth before leading me back up the stairs and into his bedroom. We went into his closet which was a complete mess.

"Do you ever clean in here?" I asked him incredulously.

"Shh." Was the only reply I received from him.

We both hid in the depths of the corners of the closet as we heard the footsteps of the murderer coming up the stairs. Unfortunately L's room was right in front of the stairs, so he would most likely check it first. L did not think this through did he? And here I thought he was smart, oh well. We would just have to keep quiet and hope the man didn't look in the closet.

We held our breath as we heard the bedroom door creak open. Footsteps thumped against the hard wooden floor as we heard him near our hiding place. I grew more and more scared at every passing second. I was so scared I didn't even realize how hard I was gripping my knees until a small trickle of blood went rolling down my bare legs since I was only in shorts and a baggy tank top. I flinched at the sight of my blood before noticing my brother give me a concerned look. I knew he saw the fright that was usually never in my eyes, and it worried him.

"Come out, come out where ever you are. I'll find you eventually either way." A cold and sadistic voice rang out. "So you're not going to make this easy eh? Oh well, I was going to give you nice quick deaths, but I suppose I can change that."

The footsteps came closer and closer to the closet as they creaked on the wooden floorboards. A dark chuckle escaped the mans lips as he stopped in front of the door to the closet. What were we going to do? There was no way we could fight against a grown man with a gun even if me and L did both know how to fight. The door began to creak open slowly as the man opened it causing me to clutch on to L frightened.

"Heh, so there are two of you brats, eh? I guess I may be able to bring one to the boss!" He chuckled with blood lust showing in his dark brown eyes. "I suppose I can take the girl."

"No! I won't let you take her!" L said standing in front of me protectively.

"L..." I murmured softly before knocking him out by hitting his pressure point.

I looked at him sadly, not forgetting the surprised look in his eyes as I knocked him out. I sighed as a tear slid down my face.

"I'll make you a deal." I told the man, who had watched me knock my own brother out with surprise. "If you promise not to harm or kill my brother, I will go with you willingly without any resistance."

The man gave a loud laugh as he heard my deal. "Alright kid, I'll take you up on that deal, but if you cause any trouble in the future I'll come back and do the same thing I did to your parents to him!"

"I understand." I said before he put a cloth over my mouth which knocked me out.

************************Le Time Skip**********************************

I woke up in a cold room with chains binding my feet and hands to a wall. There was only a little bit of light coming from a lantern all the way across the room, but there was enough light for me to see the scratches all over my body. Was I dragged here or something? It actually wouldn't really surprise me I suppose considering I was their prisoner.

I jumped as the door, which was near the lantern, gave a loud creak as it opened. It sounded as though it was made of metal. The person who came through the door was a tall man with black hair, amused looking blue eyes, and glasses. He was wearing a lab coat as well, so he looked as though he was a doctor or something.

"Hmm, so you're awake." He stated with a rather smug smirk as though he were enjoying my sadness. "Are you ready for the tests?"

"What tests?" I asked even though I knew even if I wasn't ready I had no choice.

"You'll see soon enough." He chuckled as he took the chains binding me from a hook on the wall so he could lead me where ever he was going.

He led me out the door into a brightly lit, white hallway like you would see in a hospital. We didn't walk for very long though. We entered the third door on the right, and what I saw was not a pleasant sight. It was a metal table in the middle of the room with straps on it. Next to the table was a stand like thing filled with different medical supplies. The man took off my chains before strapping me to the table.

"Now if you don't scream then maybe we won't have to go back for that brother of yours, you understand?" He said lightly as though he was just about to do a yearly check up, but I nodded anyways. "Good, now lets begin."

He took a needle with a red liquid inside of it before injecting it into my arm. It felt as though my insides were on fire. I bit my lip in order to stop myself from screaming. I wouldn't let L get hurt. I would go through ten times the pain of this to make sure L was safe.

This pain. This sorrow. This was only the beginning of years to come. I only had to survive it.

*********************************************************************

Sooooooo.......... That was sort of depressing. I kind of feel bad for L. I mean, he just watched his parents get murdered in front of him before his own sister knocked him out when he tried to protect her. The two were just having an awesome day, weren't they. I hope it wasn't to bad. I'm not really the best writer, but oh well. And yes, the updates for this will be very slow as I am pretty lazy, and I am sorry for that. Anyways, comment on anything you like, eat a bowl of ramen before running around like a maniac throwing pocky, and be awesome! Bye people!