"You got the thingy?" He asked Sophie, breaking the awkward silence.

"You have it, Funkyhair," Ro reminded him.

About three minutes later, they had the records pulled up.

"Search up Ellia... what was her last name?"

Keefe shrugged. "I dunno. There can't be that many Ellia's though, right?"

Moments later:

"There are 5,431 Ellia's in the school's database?!"

Sophie groaned. "We really need to figure this out."

Keefe hesitated. He said, reluctantly, "You could transmit to Fitz and ask him?"

"Why would Fitz know?" Sophie asked.

"Well... uh, I wouldn't be surprised. He was talking to her for most of lunch. And they did go to the dance together."

Sophie was silent. When Keefe glanced over at her, her eyes were closed, brows furrowed.

He bit his lip, watching her.

She was adorable when she was concentrating.

"Flayst." She spoke, opening her eyes.

"Huh?" Keefe jolted out of his stupor, and collected himself hastily, since he had been staring at her.

He didn't want to seem creepy.

"Her last name. Ellia Flayst."

"Oh yeah," he scrambled to type that in, and immediately, the results narrowed down.
"Okay, right here," Keefe scanned the text quickly, "Known Abilities: Technopath, Residence: Purple Peaks, Immediate Family: Carlo Flayst (father)..." he frowned. "Her mom's name's been redacted."

"By the council or...?"

"Doesn't look like it. It says 'FILE ERROR.'"

"Her mom has to work for the Black Swan or the Neverseen. Anything else?" Sophie asked.

"Her dad was apparently a Noble. Ambassador, like I said earlier, to the Goblins.  Apparently, he built a prototype for them but it exploded in use and..." Keefe blanched. "This is really graphic."

"Okay, that gives us enough info," Sophie agreed, looking a little green when he pointed out the lines describing Ellia's father's death."Poor Ellia, though."

"Yeah," Keefe agreed.

"How about we look up previous records of his?" Sophie suggested.

Keefe nodded.

While it was loading, he looked around.

"That the secret room?" He asked, standing up to get closer to the mirror. Sophie joined him.

"Yeah. We sealed it up so it wouldn't look suspicious."

"To students?"

"And the Neverseen."

"Wouldn't they notice the book is gone, though?"

Sophie shrugged. "Yeah, but they still have to open it if they're gonna check. And it makes a lot of noise, and light, when it gets opened. They'll need at least two people too, a Shade and a Flasher, so."

Keefe was wondering why they were going through so much trouble hiding a book, when he smelt something burning.

"Your little device is smoking, Funkyhair," Ro called, standing as far from it as she could.

Keefe grabbed at it, hissing as the heat touched his skin.

He dropped it.

And it crumbled in half.

"Well." He picked up the two pieces gingerly. "We almost got what we wanted."

"And what did you want?"

They whipped around, to see Magnate Leto standing behind them. His arms were crossed, and he had a very unimpressed expression on his face.

"Um." Keefe stepped behind Sophie. "Foster, you want to handle this?"

"We were looking up a new student's records," Sophie explained. "Ellia Flayst."

"And why is that, Miss Foster?"

"We just didn't super trust her earlier," Sophie said.

"You can trust Miss Flayst."

"How do you know?" Keefe asked. "Her mom's name was redacted from her files. You have to admit that's weird."

Magnate Leto stepped over to his desk, sitting down. "It's not."

Sophie and Keefe exchanged a glance. "So you erased that info?"

"For good reason. Which I cannot tell you," he said, forestalling Keefe's question. "Now, both of you need to get back to class. Also, meet me back at Idylwood tonight—I have another project for you."

Keefe followed Sophie out, wincing at the irritation flowing from her.

"Oh, and Mr. Sencen?"

He turned.

"You and Ms. Foster both have detention tomorrow. I understand your curiosity, but breaking into offices and records could get you expelled, not to mention sent to Exile."

"You remember that we're technically Nobles?"

"Yes. But you're still both my students." He smiled, obviously satisfied with himself. "And we don't want you getting into more trouble."

A/N: Happy Easter everyone!!!! Hope you're having a good one! So, first I'd like to say: my update schedule is probably going to stay on Sundays, just so I can keep updating normally. This next chapter I have to write is going to be hard, but yeah. Second: I got brave son Friday, and it sucks. Anyone who's had or has braces—I know how you feel. I have all this Easter candy I want to eat but...

Ah, the joys of being so tempted yet knowing the pain ahead.

Anywaysssss... Hope y'all enjoyed the chapter!

Updated: 4-4-2021