Chapter 14

Lydia was in the kitchen of the hotel the wedding was taking place. She hovered as the workers moved the cake onto the trolley to roll it out into the main hall where the reception was taking place. Although she supposed she should be out enjoying the reception, the clients didn't invite her to man the cake, they had invited her because they wanted her to enjoy herself after all the help she had been when it came to finding the best design and flavour that would work for their wedding. Unfortunately, Lydia couldn't sit still.

"That is one kick-ass cake," a voice belonging to a female whistled.

When Lydia turned around, her eyes went wide in surprise. "Evie! What are you doing here? The last I heard from you, you were hired by Mason King to be his full-time photographer!"

Evie held up her camera, flashing Lydia a wicked smile. "I still pick up some odd jobs here and there."

Lydia pulled her friend into a hug, gripping her tightly. When she pulled back, Evie tucked her shoulder-length blonde hair behind her ear. Her gaze went to Xander, who lingered in the kitchen corner. "Is that the hot bodyguard?"

"Who told you he was hot?" Lydia asked keeping her voice low, her eyebrows furrowed. In all of the very few conversations she had about Xander, she didn't recall ever mentioning his attractiveness.

Evie threw her hand to the side. "No one, I came to the conclusion just now."

Lydia wanted to laugh, but for whatever reason, she couldn't -- the thought of Evie finding Xander attractive made her queasy. She shook her head. "How is it going with Mason King?"

Evie rolled her eyes and sighed, seemingly frustrated. Lydia felt bad about bringing up her boss, as it seemed Evie did not appear to enjoy working for the up-and-coming country singer. "Don't get me started."

Instead of approaching the subject further, Lydia simply nodded and was about to make some sort of comment on the wedding when she noticed the workers were about to completely mess up moving the cake onto the trolley. Quickly, she left Evie's side and placed her hands under the board she had the cake on.

"Easy," she hissed. She usually didn't snap at the staff at weddings, but this cake, in particular, was a nightmare to finish with all tiers and intricate piping she had done. When the cake was safely on the trolley, she looked at the two workers in front of her. "When you move a cake as big as this, always have more than two people move it!"

The workers nodded their heads dumbly and Lydia let out a frustrated sigh. Despite her small stature and typically positive demeanour, they seemed scared of her. When she turned around, Xander looked as though he were trying desperately not to laugh, his face turning a bright red. Meanwhile, Evie grinned, seeming to be amused to bear witness to one of Lydia's rare outbursts. Her friend pointed to the event hall behind her with her thumb. "I'm going to get some more shots of the reception."

Lydia nodded her head and rejoined Xander's side. She glanced at him, feeling the frustration she had towards the workers simmer down. "Was I too mean?"

"What? No." Xander breathed out. "They could have dropped it. I've just never seen you be so..." he pondered for a moment. "...assertive."

Assertiveness was definitely not Lydia's strong suit. Most of the time, she found herself so passive that she would agree to things she never would if she didn't fear upsetting whoever was involved. Whenever she did put her foot down, she would immediately feel guilty, just as she did now.

She held up her hands when she noticed Xander staring at her. "I'm not an assertive person, hence why I have zero inclination to run Hollis Enterprises or have anything to do with it. But when people are about to ruin my cake, you will find that I can be a tad intense."

Xander put his hand on the small of her back, his lips twitching upward in a hint of a smile as he led her out of the kitchen. "Noted."

###

Once the dinner and dessert were finished, people at the reception, save for Lydia. She had zero dancing experience and she much preferred to watch. Evie sat beside her, the both of them at the same table as they were both hired for the wedding. Evie's eyes darted around the dance floor, taking in the happy couple and company dance, most of them very drunk. Evie glanced at Lydia. "You should find someone to bring home tonight."

Lydia cringed inwardly, fighting the urge to look in the corner where Xander now lurked in the reception hall, like a shadow. "No thanks."

Evie took a sip of her water and shrugged. "When was the last time you had a real good fu-"

"Oh my God," Lydia cut her friend off, wanting to talk about literally anything else. "Vie!"

Evie laughed, her blue eyes bright with amusement. She arched her perfectly plucked brow. "I'm just saying." Her eyes lingered toward Xander. She smirked, leaning back in her chair with arms crossed. "I bet your bodyguard would be good in bed. Much better than that slime ball ex of yours."

Lydia hated herself for turning her head, looking at Xander briefly before a blush took over her cheeks. She hated herself even more for feeling inclined to agree with Evie. As if shaking her head physically would shake the thoughts racing through her head, she shook her head vigorously. "I can't sleep with Xander."

Evie smiled at her as if she knew something Lydia didn't. However, instead of vocalizing it, she feigned a frown. "That's a damn shame."