Chapter 1: abigail's nightmares

Abigail's pov
8 years later.

October 8th 1969

I lay awake. I was on my half of the bed I shared with my big brother Dallas.
I just woke up in a cold sweat. My heart was pounding.
I seemed to have this re-occurring nightmare every year around my birthday.
I slowly climbed out of bed. My heart was beating real fast.

I stepped into the dark bathroom and flicked the light on.

I looked in the mirror, bags were present under my eyes. My lips quivered from the frigid fall air. I placed my hands on the counter and closed my eyes and took a deep breath.
"1, 2..." I hated getting to three. If dally wouldn't have left 8 years ago Taylor would be dead. But who knows maybe she's dead already and has been for years. The thing is I don't know. And that's what kills me.
I still remember her shrill screams from that night, almost like it was yesterday. I was only 8 then, golly I sure was a pistol then. I would bring mud into the house and get it on Taylor's things, I would throw my food... at Taylor. I would flush the toilet a bunch of times while... Taylor was in the shower. See that's what gets me. I was never nice to her. But oh how I wish I could see her, and hug her and never let her go. Sometimes I wonder why was it me? Why didn't dally pick up Taylor and grab me by the hand. Why was I so lucky? A wise man one told me "never second guess a lucky streak" but all I could do was ask why me and not her.

Dallas and I ran as far he could take us with his left over birthday money. We made it to Tulsa a few nights after we left and stayed here. Dally called the New York police station and told them to search his house and get Taylor out but they wouldn't believe a word dally said. Dally would check up to see if our father was brought in. About six years ago they told dally the apartment building was no longer in business and in fact they tore it down. Taylor was long gone.
Buck has always been a close friend of ours and his parents took dally and I in so we would stay off the streets, but that doesn't mean dally stayed out of trouble. Dally always seemed to be getting thrown in jail. Those times when he was gone buck would take care of me, he's like my older brother.
I snapped out of my thoughts and rinsed my face. Then a knock was on the door, "Abby? You okay?" It was definitely Dally's morning voice.
"Yeah. I'm fine though. Just a bad dream." I willed myself not to say I was having nightmares again.
"Open up" he knocked a little harder.
I did as he said. When I opened it I was face to face with my big brother. Yet, he wasn't much bigger than me. I was to his nose when we compared out heights with one another, well and buck but he doesn't even count. He's way taller than Dally and I.
"Yeah?" I asked but he engulfed me in a hug. In public dal will not do hugs but he has a soft spot for me, and well Johnny cade.
"Was it about Taylor again?" He asked me. I nodded and let out a weep.
"I miss her" I complained.
"I know so do I. I know we will find her someday" dally encouraged but I truly knew that it wasn't going to happen.